THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pies we have done somewhat recently, I don't think I have any in this thread yet

8gbcb0Oh.jpg

sIQo9jHh.jpg

Just picked up a BS PizzaOven from Brethren Zak!! Planning on using it this weekend.
Anyone have a good sauce recipe?
I've been using canned San Marzano tomatoes from the yellow can. Toss some Italian type seasoning and spoonful of sugar. Strain out excess water and throw it on the pie.
I like it but always looking for something different.

Just picked up a BS PizzaOven from Brethren Zak!! Planning on using it this weekend.
Anyone have a good sauce recipe?
I've been using canned San Marzano tomatoes from the yellow can. Toss some Italian type seasoning and spoonful of sugar. Strain out excess water and throw it on the pie.
I like it but always looking for something different.

Congrats on the Blackstone! I published a bunch of tips and a review on my blog that may help get you up to speed faster:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2015/1/4/product-review-the-blackstone-pizza-oven

As far as sauce goes, I've tried many over the years and settled into this one, which was based on a sauce recipe developed by a Brethren who owned a pizzeria for many years. This is by far the best I've tried as far as an American/NY style pizzeria type sauce, which is very different than what you would use on a Neapolitan style pie:

Pizzeria Style Pizza Sauce:

I can crushed san marzano tomatoes

1.5 tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1.5 T crushed oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
2 T olive oil

Blend all ingredients in a non-reactive bowl, and let sit for at least 4 hours before using; ideally, let it sit in the fridge overnight for optimal flavor. Do NOT cook the sauce. It will cook while the pie is cooking.

Oh where have I been? What wood pile or cooker have I been hiding under not to have seen this?

I need one and will be looking for it in the very near (days) future.

Mine is almost identical to Moose's except I add in a Tbsp of dried basil.

It's important to not cook the sauce and I don't use a blender just a potato masher to break down the tomatoes.

Thanks Moose! Gonna try that sauce this weekend!
About your blog, What are those filled grapefruit looking things on the home page? (where the pics scroll)

They are orange halves filled with Jello. I took the pic right after they were filled so the Jello was liquid at the time. It just looked kind of cool.

Guy selling a NIB, never used Blackstone Oven here for $150 obo.....been trying to convince the wife its too good to pass up....

Unfortunately, I still have the 36inch griddle in the garage cause I have no room on the deck...until we pour a patio this spring. So the wife isn't having any of it...

Guy selling a NIB, never used Blackstone Oven here for $150 obo.....been trying to convince the wife its too good to pass up....

Unfortunately, I still have the 36inch griddle in the garage cause I have no room on the deck...until we pour a patio this spring. So the wife isn't having any of it...

It's going to be hard to beat that price - I would go ahead and buy it and put it in the garage till you get your patio poured in the spring. If you order pizza delivery once a week, the BS will pay for itself very quickly.

It's going to be hard to beat that price - I would go ahead and buy it and put it in the garage till you get your patio poured in the spring. If you order pizza delivery once a week, the BS will pay for itself very quickly.

X2. Also you can remove the side tables to save some space.

I'm not a fan of chunky pizza sauce. I hit mine with the immersion blender.

Some brands of crushed tomatoes, like Cento are smoother, and others are chunkier. For the latter, I put 1/2 a can in the blender for a brief spin and combine with the remaining.

Just mentioned this to the CFO and she said Let's get one. I will say nothing else nor ask any more questions until I have ordered it in fear she will say "I didnt mean now". I believe I am correct with first interpretation of get it now.

Just mentioned this to the CFO and she said Let's get one. I will say nothing else nor ask any more questions until I have ordered it in fear she will say "I didnt mean now". I believe I am correct with first interpretation of get it now.

This is the best pizza oven for the money, IMO. You won't regret your decision! :thumb:

We're firing up ours tonight.

Blackstone arrives tomorrow and I need to makes tasty things on it. Anyone have a dough recipe they would recommend or what are you using?

And thanks again for the recommendation to purchase. Surprised CFO allowed it so quickly and as you can see, i didnt hesitate. :)

Back