• The OTHER Chicago Style Pizza – The Pizza Locals Eat

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Most non-Chicagoans associate Chicago with deep dish pizza, but most locals see it differently: Their pizza is thin crust, and the deep dish pies are for the tourists.

The thin crust pies are topped with sauce and cheese to the edge, and then finished with pieces of raw Italian sausage that cook while the pizza is in the oven. Out of the oven, the pie is cut in squares instead of the usual traditional slices. This style of pizza is found outside of Chicago and even other states and also referred to as “Tavern Style Pizza”.

So here’s my version with a few modifications, which may ruffle the feathers of a few Chicago purists.

For this pizza, I used the dough recipe provided on RealDeepDish.com, with one change: I substituted 30 grams of flour for semolina to give the crust more crunch, at least that was the plan. I also used my own sauce, as I see no reason to fix what isn’t broken.

Dough after 2 hour room temp rise:

F6A8wDl.jpg

Onto the pizza dough mat:

xpazzVQ.jpg

After dusting with some flour and working it into a relatively even disc:

TrcnFiy.jpg

Then came the rolling pin – flattened out to about a 15 inch round:

zMYVdum.jpg

Then onto the Super Peel and ready to add sauce, cheese, sausage & pepperoni:

j7VDsrd.jpg

Fully topped and ready to cook:

fdd4H7D.jpg

Into the Blackstone, stone temp at 550:

DlLZEjO.jpg

After the pizza went in the oven, I followed others suggestions to lower the temp of the oven – in this case, I turned the flame down to its lowest point to slow the down the cooking of the top of the pizza so the bottom could get crisp. After about 4 mins, I checked the bottom crust and it felt floppy and uncooked, and hoped this wasn’t going to be a pizza disaster in the making. After a few more minutes, I checked the bottom crust and it had firmed up nicely. Finally, the top of the pie and bottom were where I wanted, so I pulled it out of the oven.

Pizza sliced, with some fresh basil:

rRyexCT.jpg

Undercarriage shot:

rNa7LBX.jpg

All in all, I enjoyed this pizza – I enjoyed the thinnest pieces the most, while the thicker ones weren’t quite as good. Next time, I’ll work on rolling out the dough more evenly and get it as thin as possible.

Thanks fer lookin’!

Looks great except no Chicago tavern-style pizza is cut in triangles! Squares!

The corners are the best pieces :-D
Beat me to it. But I wouldn't thumb my nose at it. Good looking pie. :thumb:

Although those edge pieces are way too big. Needs another cut along all four edges. :becky:

Last edited:
Beat me to it. But I wouldn't thumb my nose at it. Good looking pie. :thumb:

Although those edge pieces are way too big. Needs another cut along all four edges. :becky:

I could see a fight erupting over those 4 "corner" pieces - they each have 3 pieces of sausage!

(They are also the only 4 pieces cut like a "normal pizza". Coincidence?)

:laugh:

Why is Chicago tavern pizza cut in squares? No one knows exactly when or where it started, but bars used to offer free pizza to get patrons to drink more beer. Small pieces meant the pizza would feed more people and a patron could put a small piece or two on the little bar napkins, meaning no extra plates required.

There more you know...

looks pretty good moose but I think you gotta get that crust a bit thinner to get that 'cracker' crust you're lookin for

Fantastic looking pie Richard! I just got a Stoke pizza oven. Haven't had time to fire it up yet. Hopefully soon and I'll post pics...

Back