Bacon Slicer

Good job and an amazing price for a $1000 machine! I was patient on FB and CraigsList but never saw a deal like that.

I can count on probably one hand the number of times I've gotten lucky on buying something in my life.......This was one of those times! :becky:

The first Hobart slicer I bought was 7 years ago through craigslist. Guy wanted $150 for it. a 1612 slicer that was made in the late 70's. Previous owner had used WD 40 on it too many times and the carriage plate was completely seized up. After a teardown/cleaning/lubing it worked like new. It even came with the sharpener attachment. That slicer never let me down slicing up cured/smoked pork bellies for over 7 years until a house fire destroyed it along with all our other belongings.
I was on the lookout last year and was surprised at the prices for the used Hobarts and Berkels. I did find a Hobart 1712 (automatic slicing mode) and got the seller down to $700 from $900 and felt lucky. Again, it needed a complete teardown, but it was easier the second time around since I knew what I was doing. We slice up about 220 lbs of smoked bellies each month for sale, and need a large format slicer.
Deals on the large used slicers are out there, you just have to be constantly on the lookout for them.
As to size, weight problems, I have ours on a roll around cart which makes it easy to go from the storage room to the kitchen area on slicing days.

The first Hobart slicer I bought was 7 years ago through craigslist. Guy wanted $150 for it. a 1612 slicer that was made in the late 70's. Previous owner had used WD 40 on it too many times and the carriage plate was completely seized up. After a teardown/cleaning/lubing it worked like new. It even came with the sharpener attachment. That slicer never let me down slicing up cured/smoked pork bellies for over 7 years until a house fire destroyed it along with all our other belongings.
I was on the lookout last year and was surprised at the prices for the used Hobarts and Berkels. I did find a Hobart 1712 (automatic slicing mode) and got the seller down to $700 from $900 and felt lucky. Again, it needed a complete teardown, but it was easier the second time around since I knew what I was doing. We slice up about 220 lbs of smoked bellies each month for sale, and need a large format slicer.
Deals on the large used slicers are out there, you just have to be constantly on the lookout for them.
As to size, weight problems, I have ours on a roll around cart which makes it easy to go from the storage room to the kitchen area on slicing days.

I picked up a Hobart 1612 back in 2014 off craigslist for $150. Mine had a bad centrifugal switch. I ended up replacing the capacitor and swapped out the centrifugal switch for an electronic switch. Has been working like a charm ever since. Cost me $50 for the capacitor and switch.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Any experience or thoughts on this guy? I think it’s on sale for $100 off.

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/prepare/meat-slicers/10-meat-slicer/1117079.html#cgid=root&start=1
There are a lot of similar producs in that middle-price prosumer category. Given the unknown brands, I would make sure to buy from a vendor that I had experience with and trusted. IMO the meatyourmaker.com web site is a little over the top. "We are the makers of MEAT processing equipment." ?!!? I don't believe it. Manufacturing the range of products they offer would require investment and sales volume that is almost certainly uneconomical even if the parent company agreed to provide the capital. It also appears that nearly everything is "on sale." People who sell quality products do not have margins that can stand highly discounted sale prices. So ... I would pass on this deal and look to companies like LEM or even Amazon for purchases in this category of product.

I've thought about buying a slicer but the only thing holding me back is cleaning (and, the storage space). How much of a pain, or not, are these machines to keep clean?

They are very easy to clean. Wipe down with a wet cloth every time after use and keep it covered. I've got a 12" one in my shed in a permanent position so the space is not a problem for me. Otherwise, yes they take up a lot of space and they are heavy if you get a big one.

There are a lot of similar producs in that middle-price prosumer category. Given the unknown brands, I would make sure to buy from a vendor that I had experience with and trusted. IMO the meatyourmaker.com web site is a little over the top. "We are the makers of MEAT processing equipment." ?!!? I don't believe it. Manufacturing the range of products they offer would require investment and sales volume that is almost certainly uneconomical even if the parent company agreed to provide the capital. It also appears that nearly everything is "on sale." People who sell quality products do not have margins that can stand highly discounted sale prices. So ... I would pass on this deal and look to companies like LEM or even Amazon for purchases in this category of product.

Thanks for the input. I have a LEM big bite grinder and I love it, especially at the price I got it for. Their comparable meat slicer is $500 which is hitting the threshold for me. From what I've read and seen MEAT! has a good reputation and good customer service. Which is what draws me to them. In the meantime, I have been scouring for other brands/deals and nothing strikes me as close yet.

Admittedly, I just made a new thread about the MEAT! slicer in QTalk before I read this.
So I appreciate your response and apologize for the overlap.

Back