How to maintain very low temps?

lhommedieu

Knows what a fatty is.
I've got a UDS and a charcoal basket, and I can maintain low-and-slow temps of 210F-240F, as needed, with a combination of charcoal and wood chunks.

I have a recipe for cold smoke/hot smoke bacon that I'd like to try, and compare this bacon to a cold smoke bacon. The theory is that a second, hotter smoke renders some of the fat from the bacon. (And yes, I'm aware that 130F-170F is not really a "hot smoke.").

What is the best method for maintaining a very low temp of e.g. 130F-170F in the smoker, after I have finished the cold smoke stage? Just use less fuel and provide less air? Or an ice bucket, etc.?

Lo Temp

I smoke jerky on my WSM 22. I can run 140 by using a small pan of 5-8 charcoal briqs an a small wood chunk for flavor. I leave the water pan in but empty. I use the Thermoworks unit to monitor and check about 20 minute intervals.

A-Maze-N smoker. Either the dust or pellet version. I use it to smoke cheese but only do it in cold weather.

I use my 18" WSM that I use on cold days to smoke cheese. I have the bigger sized waterpan that I use with the process. I will fill the waterpan and place it (carefully) in my deep freeze and when the all the water is frozen, it is ready for the smoker. The fire consists of three or four lit briquettes and I will add a small chunk of wood for smoke every so often and replenish the fire as needed with one or two lit coals. Sometimes I use a small piece of unlit lump charcoal. I can easily keep the overall temperature inside the bullet around 100F using this method.

Either a charcoal "snake" and a chunk of wood or a smoke tube with pellets... have plenty of air circulation if using the tube, they make a lot of smoke and you don't want it stale

Thank you all, for your responses. It looks like a much smaller charcoal load, coupled with a chuck of wood, will work out well. I'll have a pan of frozen water standing by in case the temperature is too hot.

I have a temperature monitoring system with a fan, so I think that the same method applies, but that the variables are going to be slightly different.

I'll post pictures in a couple of weeks to let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again.

Back