Looking for a new knife sharpener

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Anyone have a good knife sharpener that they would recommend. The Ken onion work sharp one was popular a while back. Anyone have a better recommendation? Mostly just sharpening kitchen knives. I prefer a 15 degree angle too. Thanks.

As with everything there's a cost / time analysis, so that will make a difference. A couple years ago I bought the Kadet by TSPROF and it's a fantastic sharpener. That being said it's a bit pricey, and it does require a decent amount of setup + elbow grease. My knives come out extremely sharp, but I rarely sharpen them because it's time consuming.
https://tsprof.us/collections/kadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEMj2oU3CI&ab_channel=GreenBeetle

I saw a good video by a knife maker on YouTube who reviewd the new WorkSharp Professional Precision Sharpening System. It's similiar to the TSPROF system I have, but it's much quicker to setup, and the results look just as good. The price is better as well.
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/professional-precision-adjust-knife-sharpener/

I had the Ken Onion Work Sharp and overall that's probably the "best of both worlds" in terms of cost + convenience. I could sharpen my entire knife set in about an hour (7 knives), and they would end up extremely sharp. I think my TSPROF gets a better edge, but again...the time and inconvenience mean I rarely use it.

I've seen some videos on those new "rolling" style sharpeners and the reviews are all over the place. They seem to work well, but usability can be a bit of a problem in terms of getting a consistent angle.

Ken Onion with the blade grinder attachment.

I’ve spent Gawd knows what on sharpeners, everything from an Arkansas stone to an Edge Pro 4 system, but I will never be without the KO and the blade grinding attachment. Once you get the feel for it, you can sharpen a pile of knives in no time!

I'm still old school with 2 whetstones.

One is 300 /1000
The top spec Japanese one is 4000 / 6000.

Then I have a leather strop and honing compound.

Sometimes I get a knife with damaged blade and you go from 300 through to 4000. Takes about an hour. I've been doing it so long I know 15 Degrees and can hold it there for hours.

Only my Japanese Knife ( Just the one Sontoku knife ) do I even bother going to 6000 with. Others are not worth the effort.

A labour of love but well worth it. You should consider the manual aspect of it as "cleansing".

I recommend going old school.

I use 8” Spyderco Ceramic Bench Stones, Med. and Ultra Fine, when I can’t keep the edge sharp using a Messermeister Ceramic “Steel”. Seldom need the Bench Stones.

If you want something easy, this one works surprisingly well, does both 15 and 20 degree angles. There's a model with 20 degree only for about $20 cheaper if you don't have any Asian knives. I keep it in my knife drawer and once they're sharp, just use the honing slot every week or so. Chef's Choice Manual Sharpener

Much respect Aussie. As a kid growing up, I hunted, fished, and trapped. A sharp knife was a must. I had a two sided sharpening stone that was a hand me down from my Dad. No idea what the grit was, but the coarse side was about right for a mower blade.

I had no knowledge about blade angles or any of the other technicalities, but over time learned to sharpen a knife through sheer repetition. Seems like I developed a "feel", for the proper angle and blade pressure that lasted through my early twenties. Fast forward to today when I sharpen my kitchen knives a couple times a year, and couldn't begin to put any type of edge on a knife using a stone.

I use a Ken Onion WorkSharp for the 2 times, and then hone as needed with a manual Chef's Choice as mentioned above. The combination works great, but I can't help but think my manhood has been diminished.

I bought a Wicked Edge back when they first came out. It'll definitely put a wicked edge on just about anything, but it's a bit pricey for what it is and kind of cumbersome so I don't end up using it as often as I should. But it's adjustable to any edge profile you want and produces very repeatable results. Dang, now I need to go dig it outta the closet and sharpen all my knives...

If you want something easy, this one works surprisingly well, does both 15 and 20 degree angles. There's a model with 20 degree only for about $20 cheaper if you don't have any Asian knives. I keep it in my knife drawer and once they're sharp, just use the honing slot every week or so. Chef's Choice Manual Sharpener

I just got a set of Victorinox knives - would I be able to use this sharpener - would I sharpen at 15 or 20 degrees - I am a novice when it comes to knives

I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Bought a set of diamond rods separately for when a major re-profile is needed. Always works well for me.

This doesn’t help the Kaptain now, but I also use the KO worksharp.
I suck at hand sharpening knives, but last week I bought a 1000/6000 whetstone. I really want to learn to quickly get a kitchen knife sharp using that.

As with everything there's a cost / time analysis, so that will make a difference. A couple years ago I bought the Kadet by TSPROF and it's a fantastic sharpener. That being said it's a bit pricey, and it does require a decent amount of setup + elbow grease. My knives come out extremely sharp, but I rarely sharpen them because it's time consuming.
https://tsprof.us/collections/kadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEMj2oU3CI&ab_channel=GreenBeetle

I saw a good video by a knife maker on YouTube who reviewd the new WorkSharp Professional Precision Sharpening System. It's similiar to the TSPROF system I have, but it's much quicker to setup, and the results look just as good. The price is better as well.
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/professional-precision-adjust-knife-sharpener/

I had the Ken Onion Work Sharp and overall that's probably the "best of both worlds" in terms of cost + convenience. I could sharpen my entire knife set in about an hour (7 knives), and they would end up extremely sharp. I think my TSPROF gets a better edge, but again...the time and inconvenience mean I rarely use it.

I have the KO3 and LOVE it! They offer a lot of rage on the angle/degree to get the perfect edge. I use it for everything, including my neighbor's knives. I use the Venev Diamond stones for it.

Back