Slicers

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Hey all,
I had ham sales at my local safeway so i got 2 10 lb hams. I am gonna slice some for lunch meat and I' am lookin for a slicer. I got a 50 year old rival but i haven't used it in like 20 years. Not rusted or anything but I was lookin at this. Anyone have suggestions. This one's bout my price limit https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Meat-Slicer-Semi-Auto/dp/B08R7JJF3R/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=18XIZ5SQZD6BZ&keywords=slicer&qid=1704647058&refinements=p_36%3A1253527011&rnid=386465011&s=home-garden&sprefix=slicer%2Caps%2C183&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Looks nice. Mine is about 1/2 of that price. Works for me. I would check out the one I had before putting money into a new one

Agreed. It's free to plug in the one you already have and see what happens. I ended up with an 8" Chefmark from Amazon 3 years ago, under $100. I use it about once a month and love it.

I bought an entry level slicer in the $100 range a few years ago and it’s done ok. A lot of plastic and very lightweight but seems to do what you’d expect a slicer to do. With that said, I’d be inclined to give that Rival a good cleaning and use it for old times sake.
Good luck with your choice.

The Vevor looks nice and there's alot of youtube videos on it. That said I wouldn't spend that much on a slicer I'm not going to be using very often. But surely the "buy once, cry once" crowd will be chiming in shortly:p

I like several of the features of that slicer.
The blade diameter, sharpener, thickness adjustment and handle for starters.

That said, I'm in the check out the one you've already got camp.

From what I can tell, my slicer is from around 1950, and I'm sure it'll outlive me!

I have the Beswood version of that slicer. It's great, and I think the vevor model will be great too.

That looks like a great slicer. I have a Chef's Choice and it works fine except for pit beef- which tests the quality of a slicer. Slicing hot meat thin is difficult and under pressure the CC can bend a little. If all you need to do is slice cold ham I think you can get away with a cheaper one. But the Vevor gets me thinking...

I have a Vevor chamber vacuum sealer that has been working great for 2 years. I don't know about their slicers but they do make durable heavy duty chamber vacuums.

I got lucky and bought a Hobart 1612 slicer for $150 that needed a new capacitor and electronic switch to replace the centrifugal switch. Cost me $50 in parts to repair.

we have that exact one. very happy with the purchase. it's fairly heavy, we ended up putting it on a stainless cart we have so it's easier to move around.

I picked up one of those pro Hobart Deli slicers at an auction years back...amazing machine, but I always make sure to set up and use it before I touch any adult beverages...that thing can shave hands and fingers off if you're careless.

I think mine came from an Quiznos that went out of business.

But just throwing that out there...keep an eye on local auctions, even antiques auctions as that you can find stuff like this....

C

The Vevor looks nice and there's alot of youtube videos on it. That said I wouldn't spend that much on a slicer I'm not going to be using very often. But surely the "buy once, cry once" crowd will be chiming in shortly:p

I'm a big proponent of the BOCO. However, a lot of folks subscribe to the "don't let the perfect get in the way of the good enough" and there is nothing wrong with that. So, with that being said, I'd dust off the old Rival unit and give it a whirl. If it cuts to your satisfaction and meets your expectations and it's "Good enough", then you have saved yourself some money. If not, then the Vevor will probably serve your needs for a long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Robert

[/B]

I'm a big proponent of the BOCO. However, a lot of folks subscribe to the "don't let the perfect get in the way of the good enough" and there is nothing wrong with that. So, with that being said, I'd dust off the old Rival unit and give it a whirl. If it cuts to your satisfaction and meets your expectations and it's "Good enough", then you have saved yourself some money. If not, then the Vevor will probably serve your needs for a long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Robert

FTR - we had some cheap slicer for a long time similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CT5TVT...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

but it was honestly barely adequate for us. it served fine but you couldn't get the paper thin slices like for italian beef or such... so we bided our time and bought the vevor, for US it was worth the wait and upgrade, we use it to slice corned beef for ruebens (and other appetizers that my wife likes), italian beef, block cheeses, etc.

If you are going with that one, you might want to act fast.
The lowest price that has been on Amazon is $236.63 - so you're close to that.
The highest price is $325.99
The average price is $275.14

This is my old Rival...

picture.php

It has served me well but, considering one like the Vevor you're looking at.
(if only I had more counter space!)

I have a cheap slicer - under $100 easily.
It's old.

But I have a question.
Do they make a slicer that is easy to clean?
Mine is a total PITA.

Back