Looking for a new knife sharpener

Target online has a knife sharpener selection. Full disclosure I've not been inside a Target in a decade. Wife about once per year. It's less than half a mile away. Place just isn't on my Shopping Radar. Except, I do peruse many sites for reviews, comments, availability etc. I have multiple sharpeners. WorkSharp, Chef Mate, Smith etc etc. I have one steel Chicago Cutlery. To me a touch up means not having to set up, plug in etc. I use my hand helds and the steel, or just steel for touch ups. As well I have many well cared for very nice but not expensive knives.

Here is a link to a rolling sharpener at Walmart
Link to Walmart 15°&20° rollingknife sharpener

https://www.walmart.com/ip/itoolhor...s-Magnetic-Sharpe/5253504350?adsRedirect=true

Last edited:
Since the last used belt on my Worksharp unit is the honing belt I'll just use that to touch up a knife. It takes about 1 minute (set-up and take down included) to get things right providing you haven't abused the knife in the first place.

Since the last used belt on my Worksharp unit is the honing belt I'll just use that to touch up a knife. It takes about 1 minute (set-up and take down included) to get things right providing you haven't abused the knife in the first place.

Wife asked what I was typing earlier, showed her and she says, oh by the way we have several knives that need sharpening, steel didn't do much. That means WorkSharp has some sharpening work to do.

I was at an estate sale over the weekend. There was a block of Henckels that had been badly eroded from sharpening. A fairly large chef's knife was mostly gone. That was a bit of a shocker. Others were well beyond their bolsters.

I saw a couple of table top sharpeners that likely did the deed but didn't pay them much mind, because many of them do wear knives away. Not saying the knives were not kept reasonably sharp. And some folks don't care, they will just buy new knives when they wear out. The Henckel's were replaced with some China import knives that try to be fancy but don't seem to be well regarded. Those were gone by the time I arrived.

Another thing about sharpening - knives can feel sharp initially and cut well, but the edge is not durable. Whether due to problems with the edge, or due to loss of temper from overheating while sharpening (or both).

I was at an estate sale over the weekend. There was a block of Henckels that had been badly eroded from sharpening. A fairly large chef's knife was mostly gone. That was a bit of a shocker. Others were well beyond their bolsters.

I used to hang out on a kitchen knives forum a few years back. Consensus then was that the electric Chef's Choice sharpener was the "Chef's Choice Knife Destroyer. How to remove 2 years of a knife's life in 20 seconds". That was before the Ken Onion sharpener came out. To those guys only Japanese water stones were acceptable. I have a full set but my dexterity ain't what it used to be and I can't hold the angle steady any more. The Worksharp works for me.

I don't know how they people Maylar was referring to were using the sharpener to destroy their knives. I've got 20+ year old Wusthof knives and my Chef's Choice is probably close to that in age as well. I'm sure I'm missing out a bit compared to having a Worksharp, but my current knives and sharpener have been good to me for quite some time.

I have the Ken Onion Worksharp, but also bought a Tormek T-1 which I now use as my primary sharpener. Does the job and easy to use, but it is pricey.

Have an EdgePro Apex and love it. A bit pricey and there is a bit of work involved, but you can get a true “Razor Edge” if you want.

Cousin wanted what I am guessing is the Tumbler so I ordered it. Didn't realize Worksharp makes a rolling sharpener too and for a few dollars less than the other one. Guess I'll just give him the Tumbler, but Worksharp has more options and I am a fan of theirs because of my experience with the Ken Onion sharpener.

I have the Ken Onion Worksharp, but also bought a Tormek T-1 which I now use as my primary sharpener. Does the job and easy to use, but it is pricey.

I have the Tormek T1 as well. It's small enough for me to leave plugged in on the counter top so it's convenient to sharpen or hone as needed. I used to be able to sharpen by hand as well as the T-1, but I can't now due to arthritis and carpal tunnel issues. I was never able to hone by hand as well as I can using the T-1's rubber honing wheel dampened with a bit of water.

I find that sharpening isn't needed as often as long as I do a quick periodic hone on the T-1.

Been using Work Sharp since prior to KO edition, but I did upgrade to it when it came out. It's great for pulling out once a year and sharpening all the knives, but not really worth the effort for one or two knives. So, I bought the Work Sharp Culinary E5 and use it as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Culinary-Kitchen-Sharpener/dp/B07S6XQ5K2/

I was lucky on another forum and won a Japanese fancy knife. It quickly became the wife's favorite knife. I don't trust running it through an electric sharpener, so I broke down and bought me a dual sided stone and learned (again) how to use it. I get a better edge on all the knives with it, but still easier to to use the E5 for daily use.

I have the Warthog. It's the second one I've had as I dropped the first one and broke one of the sharpening "arms". Anyway, it's quick and easy and sharpens all of my knives to my liking.
https://warthogusa.com/product/classic-ii/

I got my wife the warthog to use when she needed something done "Right Now" and I couldn't get to it just then. It works well for keeping the edge sharp if used regularly.

Pulley split on my worksharp this morning when I started sharpening my son’s kitchen knives :x

Back