bacon question

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Hey All,

I love bacon and prices are crazy here $12 a lb for Oscer. I have wanted to try making my own smoked bacon but I don't have the room or the time to brine it/cure it right. I seen a video of a guy using 1 table spoon of course kosher salt per pound and for a 5 lb'er he added 1/2 cup brown sugar. In fridge in zip lock bag flipping once per day for 7 days. thoughts He made a good point were not like settlers who are keeping ot out for days on end it either gets used or goes in the freezer?

simplest way is to get some tenderquick and dry cure it, just follow directions on the package, them smoke it, Tenderquick has the nitrites you need to keep botulism away...

You can cure with curing salt, but need to weigh out the meat and cure accurately, With tenderquick just weigh the meat and use the appropriate spoonfuls.

angtft.jpg

#getchasome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_erythorbate

Speeds up cure time. Combined with cure#1 injected 10% pump, vacuum tumbled for 30 minutes under 28 Hg, then set in fridge overnight. 2lb pork butt.
1599444966126-20200906-220623.jpg

Last edited:
The answer to any bacon question is always "grilled bacon is amazing!"

Do you have a costco around? Their bacon is very good and tends to be fairly priced. I have noticed recently that it is harder to find excellent packages where it is all very lean.

Like you I was curious so I went and bought a whole pork belly. Trimed it up and cut into 3 slabs and made pork belly bites with the trimmings. Mmmm!
I started a 2.5 lb slab of it on 7/1with a 14-21 day cure time planned. I chose to use curing salt for the first try following diggingdog calculator. http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Attachments

• 20230526_135343.jpg
    20230526_135343.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 159
Quite a few of do this on a regular basis. It's handy if you have a slicer and vac sealer as well. When you add it all up you might find that it costs more per pound to do it yourself. The trade off is, that home cured and smoked bacon is a lot better than the wet, limp Oscar Mayer stuff you fellas call bacon.

Cheers!

Bill

I wouldn't cure meat using only salt. Most of today's salt is so processed that it has none of the nitrates that salt from yesteryear had. Therefore, to protect your meat and yourself, you should always use curing salt. Either Mortons TQ or cure #1.

Quite a few of do this on a regular basis. It's handy if you have a slicer and vac sealer as well. When you add it all up you might find that it costs more per pound to do it yourself. The trade off is, that home cured and smoked bacon is a lot better than the wet, limp Oscar Mayer stuff you fellas call bacon.

Cheers!

Bill
Boom! Here I was plannin on hand slicein as thin as I could and You've given me a reason I need at least a 12" slicer!
Missed prime days hope the wife believes that's when I ordered it. LoL

I wouldn't cure meat using only salt. Most of today's salt is so processed that it has none of the nitrates that salt from yesteryear had. Therefore, to protect your meat and yourself, you should always use curing salt. Either Mortons TQ or cure #1.

Although I've got Cure #1 and Cure #2, I've made salamis, coppocolo and bacon with just salt. Going to classes here, the general consensus is that the nitrites and nitrates are not necessary for home curing.

I don't know about how your salt is processed but I can't imagine the point of extracting anything out of what really is a very natural process

Now of course, you may disagree but lets just say it's not "always" necessary. There is considerable flexibility.

I'm just going to lend support to Bill on this. I've used salt cures many times on pork belly (and salmon), despite having different pink salts. I don't produce the same type of bacon we know, but the product is extremely satisfying. Historically, such plain salt cures were extremely common, really the norm, as sea salt was readily available.

CVQxusO.jpg

You can rest assured that when it comes to home curing, science and proper safe practices are on your side. Products like Tender Quick were designed for ease of use for home curing. My Grandparents used TQ in the '60's, and I still use it for certain things today.

Cure #1 (Prague #1, Instacure #1) require more accurate measurements but give you more control and latitude with respect to the salt percentage and additional seasonings. It used to be for 'professional' use, but that is changing.

Beyond the curing process, you have options to cold smoke, or to hot smoke.

Before you jump off the bacon cliff, you might want to cure something inexpensive like some pork chops or a pork loin just to test the water.

HG4ZNvI.jpg

9ZAciko.jpg

I make my own, authentic Canadian bacon and love it. But that is a lean meat that is much easier to create than the process of properly curing American bacon. So I admittedly go to the breakfast section of my local market and try to combine sale with brand for the best pre-made quality I can get. When I can afford it, I stock up on the right stuff at the right price. Regardless, bacon is a staple and a welcome part of any meal, any time.

I wish my slicer was bigger it's only like 7.5". I sat my half a belly on it and it's to big for my slicer hehe. I will probably not do bacon though seems like a lot of trouble. Guess i will just have to wait for sales and buy a couple packs at a time. Guess I will do pork belly bites with my half belly

I wish my slicer was bigger it's only like 7.5". I sat my half a belly on it and it's to big for my slicer hehe. I will probably not do bacon though seems like a lot of trouble. Guess i will just have to wait for sales and buy a couple packs at a time. Guess I will do pork belly bites with my half belly

The curing process, the smoking and a couple of days of mellowing tightens up the bacon, and if you put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes it's easy to slice by hand.

KXv0E4V.jpg

CUGfMw6.jpg

Auctions...

Keep your eyes open...auction, and social media market places (if you do social media)....you can find a good slicer like anything else.

A few years back, I used to hit an auction house not that far from me...one time I snagged a full blow, working Hobart professional deli meat slicer. I can't remember how much I paid, but from my research back then it was a bargain...WAY less than a new or what a used one generally went for.

Anyway, the only thing that didn't work was the auto mode where it would automatically move the food carrier back and for and auto shave things...no big deal to me.

Anyway, I love this thing...works great with bacon and I love to take the bones off my annual thanksgiving rotisserie rib roast and shave it thin for French Dip sammiches....etc.

Anyway...keep your eyes out...I think mine came from a Quiznos that went out of business.

It's big, heavy....I put it on a nice SS table from Sam's club, and I love it.

Just watch those fingers....I don't drink adult beverages until AFTER I use it on those types of days....

cayenne

When it comes to home curing bacon you don't HAVE to use nitrite... but why wouldn't you unless its a health issue or something like that? lol

Ok so here's the breakdown... if you're only making a small amount at a time you don't need to use nitrite but the end product isn't what you would be familiar with AS bacon. It's not going to have that bacony flavor that nitrites impart and to me that's my main benefit.

If you are going to use just salt I'd stick with a natural rock or sea salt, never the iodized stuff. Don't cold smoke it but go straight to smoking it over 150+ so the belly isn't sitting in the danger zone. That room temp to below 140 degree range in an oxygen starved environment like a smoker is where botulism thrives so be mindful of that.

Now what you're asking about is the method of making it and there are a few... Generally bacon takes longer to cure for its thickness due to the fat content (lean cures faster than fats). I think Ive seen the vid you're talking about and to be honest Mortons tender quick or cure #1 are so readily available online that you might as well use it and id go a step further and recommend it... especially with your first go at it. Get the process down first then remove the nitrites and give that a go and see what you like.

There's dry cured bacon, brined bacon and injected bacon. Dry cured takes the longest, brined is what I'd recommend if you're pressed for time and there's injected or pumped which is a more commercial approach and with the addition of Sodium Erythorbate you can produce in a matter of 2 days.

I make a couple hundred lbs of bacon a month. I pump my bellies but each method yields a slightly different product texture & flavor wise...

Dry cured is the best quality IMO but it's calculated ingredients based on weight and it takes time about a week or two depending on thickness and fat content... if you have the time it's worth it. Robust flavor, dense texture in the best way possible & old school kinda look and vibe. But be careful not to over cook it. It has a tendency to dry out and be chewy if fried too long esp when sliced too thick.
Ud0sLxph.jpg

yTqo3czh.jpg

The Brined method is a great option, depending on the thickness will take about a week but flavor might be a little less... intense but it's easy to make a brine with MTQ or cure #1 then set it and forget it. I find if you like crispy bacon this is a better option.
tDqI0CRh.jpg

vmRJcrBh.jpg

Then the pumped method is more commercial and you get a better yield, consistent and more flavorful product than straight brined and IMO is the best to fry crisp but it takes more processing time and specialized equipment but again with erythorbate it can be ready in 2 days
Klfmc3sh.jpg

(This one look juicier cuz it was sliced warm btw)
ylybODQh.jpg

All in all it's BACON... they're all good. I'd say if your concern is time I'm sorry to say home made bacon takes time... if you have time go with dry cured, if you don't, brined would be slightly quicker option but since you're just starting out a curing agent is a must cuz ya know safety and all these things.

Sorry for the long post but I hope that sheds some light on it for you.

CVQxusO.jpg

You can rest assured that when it comes to home curing, science and proper safe practices are on your side. Products like Tender Quick were designed for ease of use for home curing. My Grandparents used TQ in the '60's, and I still use it for certain things today.

Cure #1 (Prague #1, Instacure #1) require more accurate measurements but give you more control and latitude with respect to the salt percentage and additional seasonings. It used to be for 'professional' use, but that is changing.

Beyond the curing process, you have options to cold smoke, or to hot smoke.

Before you jump off the bacon cliff, you might want to cure something inexpensive like some pork chops or a pork loin just to test the water.

HG4ZNvI.jpg

9ZAciko.jpg

Every year before Christmas I buy two full pork loins and cure them using Thirdeye’s buckboard bacon recipe linked below. I give the buckboard bacon along with cured belly bacon and a variety of sausages out as gifts, the buckboard bacon is always a big hit :thumb:

It’s an easy recipe to make if you’re just getting into curing things and want to give it a whirl…pork loin is usually pretty cheap too.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html?m=1

Back