Slicers

i feel like the vevor was easier to clean than my el cheapo one. part of the reason, i think, is that the cheap one had a serated blade and that seemed to make a bigger mess, the smooth blade on the vevor didn't create as big a mess. so easier? not necessarily, but less mess to clean up so it takes less time.

I have a cheap slicer - under $100 easily.
It's old.

But I have a question.
Do they make a slicer that is easy to clean?
Mine is a total PITA.

Since the motor is removable, that old Rival I posted is easy to take apart
and wash... provided your sink is large enough,

This is my old Rival...

picture.php

It has served me well but, considering one like the Vevor you're looking at.
(if only I had more counter space!)

That's a damn cool looking slicer!

i love how well made those old designs are. today it would cost a couple grand for that kind of finish level on something of similar size

FTR - we had some cheap slicer for a long time similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CT5TVT...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

but it was honestly barely adequate for us. it served fine but you couldn't get the paper thin slices like for italian beef or such... so we bided our time and bought the vevor, for US it was worth the wait and upgrade, we use it to slice corned beef for ruebens (and other appetizers that my wife likes), italian beef, block cheeses, etc.

Barely adequate is an understatement. I bought a Chef's Choice thinking it would be great for small jobs when I didn't want to break out the 85 pound Berkel. The underwhelming power, the dull serrated blade and the cheap, flimsy, plastic screw that only had a tab that folded out to twist for removal of the blade made me shelve it. I bought it because I thought it would save time for small jobs. Not true. Only plus was the weight and the small size. I eventually gave it to my youngest to slice deer meat for jerky. After a few attempts he shelved it because he says he can partially freeze the meat and slice thinner with a sharp knife.

It's like comparing a brace and bit to a power drill. If it works for you and you're satisfied then you're good to go.

Barely adequate is an understatement. I bought a Chef's Choice thinking it would be great for small jobs when I didn't want to break out the 85 pound Berkel. The underwhelming power, the dull serrated blade and the cheap, flimsy, plastic screw that only had a tab that folded out to twist for removal of the blade made me shelve it. I bought it because I thought it would save time for small jobs. Not true. Only plus was the weight and the small size. I eventually gave it to my youngest to slice deer meat for jerky. After a few attempts he shelved it because he says he can partially freeze the meat and slice thinner with a sharp knife.

It's like comparing a brace and bit to a power drill. If it works for you and you're satisfied then you're good to go.

yeah, i can't argue with you on that at all. I was trying to be nice. we did the same thing when we wanted something sliced thin, get it good and cold then use a knife, it sucked.

That slicer should be fine. Just an FYI, but Vevor doesn't "make" anything. They find products and make deals to get some branded in their name. You'll find the exact same slicer under many different "brand" names. More specifically, this appears to be a JK-250 (or variant) made by Changzhou JinKun Food Machinery Co., Ltd

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with it. Biggest concern I'd have over time is finding a parts list and parts availability if something breaks.

Digging a bit deeper, it looks like the motor might only be 150W, which is 1/5HP. Not a deal breaker, but there are other 10" slicers out there with stronger motors for not much more.

More specifically, this appears to be a JK-250 (or variant) made by Changzhou JinKun Food Machinery Co., Ltd

I have the Beswood that was a gift. I rarely use it. To me it's heavy and awkward and cleanup takes 4x as long as the use does. I've learned to like 'however thin I can slice by hand' that tastes way better in my book.

Barely adequate is an understatement. I bought a Chef's Choice thinking it would be great for small jobs when I didn't want to break out the 85 pound Berkel. The underwhelming power, the dull serrated blade and the cheap, flimsy, plastic screw that only had a tab that folded out to twist for removal of the blade made me shelve it.

The add on meat/non serrated blade works pretty good.

I have the Beswood that was a gift. I rarely use it. To me it's heavy and awkward and cleanup takes 4x as long as the use does. I've learned to like 'however thin I can slice by hand' that tastes way better in my book.

Too bad the OP is so far away from you - you could have made a deal.

I use my Beswood every 4-6 weeks I guess. Charcuterie, sliced beef for jerky, and sliced pork shoulder that I marinate and freeze in 5lb portions for later meals. That's about it - maybe I should be using it more, but those are the big jobs I use it for.

The more often you clean it, the faster you get at cleaning it.

Link to the marinade recipe: https://www.hmart.com/recipe/post/grilled-spicy-pork-belly/ (I use it for pork shoulder as well)

Last edited:

Nothing worse then spending 5 minutes slicing and 30 minutes cleaning up.

My son found one on let go for practically nothing...Not real big, or real powerful but it worked ok, not deli machine ok, but ok enough.
BUT, clean up was a complete PITA. It now resides in it's box on a shelf somewhere.
I can slice thin enough with a 10 " chef knife and clean up takes about 3 seconds to wipe it down...
If I was slicing multiple hams or bacons I'd consider finding it but for the amount I do it's not worth it to me...

yeah, i can't argue with you on that at all. I was trying to be nice. we did the same thing when we wanted something sliced thin, get it good and cold then use a knife, it sucked.

I wasn't arguing with you, I was trying to agree with you. Didn't quite come across as that. Was trying to say that in theory, the cheap slicers are a great idea. In practice, maybe not so much. At least for me. Smaller and more portable yes, but clean up was about the same.

:deadhorse:I'll try to stop now

This is my old Rival...

picture.php

It has served me well but, considering one like the Vevor you're looking at.
(if only I had more counter space!)

Man, this bring back good memories for me. Assuming it hasn't changed much, we had the exact one when I was a kid about 40 years ago. I remember my mom cutting one of those big round canned hams with it.

that's a pretty piece of machinery. if I won the lottery I'd pay someone to use that for me. :mrgreen:

Slicers... right. Since my knife skills and dexterity are lacking, is there a gadget out there that aids in manual knife slicing?

I would try to see how much travel the carriage has. A 10 inch blade doesn't mean anything if the meat tray only has about 8" of travel for example

Good point! For those who have this slicer How wide of a piece of meat will it handle? Can you say slice bacon without cutting it in half?

Back