Slicers

Random rambling thoughts....

I know it was already brought up, but this level of slicer is a bigger PITA to clean than the smaller ones, and also don't expect to have the travel to do a giant slab of bacon either. Kinda the negatives in the "prosumer" grade of things.

but holy chit do these slice fast and thin!

there are some good cleaning agents that you can spray and disinfect/clean and could TRY to not take the whole damn thing apart when cleaning

also I put down a ton of that press n seal stuff all around it to mitigate all the dirty spots.

additionally, I try to slice "in bulk" so I plan my projects so I have a large queue of meat to slice.

I found the same exact slicer under a different name and in the specs it said the widest it could cut is 7.01 inches. That's not much more than the cheap 7 1/2 " slicers.

I upgraded my slicer because the cheapie I had, had a plastic ramp. So slicing thin prosciutto required me to press down on the meat against the ramp to cut across the whole face of the meat. The ramp would flex and I would end up with a "V" shaped slice.

Don't know it it's my ADHD, or if I've developed a late onset of OCD, or maybe both.... but anyways......

A commercial style slicer like this does indeed take time to clean. IF you are only slicing a pound or so of product, and you have relatively decent knife skills, just use the knife. It's only 1 lb or so.

If you are slicing a moderate amount of product, that's a bit different. When you factor in the time spent cleaning it, a slicer like this might not cut down on the time at all. BUT, it will keep your hand from cramping up trying to do all that slicing and you'll get more consistent slices. So, it might not be any quicker, but it will be easier and give you a better product.

If you are slicing 10 to 50lbs of product, well, duh, it's a no brainer :)

IF you want a slicer mainly for bacon and don't have to get super thin slices, one model to look at is the Chef's Choice 615A. It's a fairly cheap 7 inch slicer BUT it has a large tray and a ridiculous amout of tray travel. It can do full length slices on most bellies. But, it has a fairly weak motor and plastic gears. If you push it to hard/fast trying to force product through it, you're likely to burn out the motor or strip the gears. BUT, if you are willing to work within it's constraints, going slow and easy, you can slice many, many, many lbs of bacon with no problem. One thing to note is that it likes to have firm product to slice. Either par freeze the belly or allow it to age in fridge and firm up.

All that said, while it will do belly and most anything else, it doesn't like to slice things really super thin. I definitely wouldn't use it to try and slice prosciutto.

With this Vevor slicer, given it's short tray travel, it's not impossible to get full length slices. If your bacon is flexible after curing and smoking, just fold it over to slice. Another option is a bit complicated and tedious, but it works. Basically, instead of laying belly flat on the tray, lay it at a downward angle where the end closest to you is resting on the upright part of the tray (take that plastic guard off.) Leading edge of the belly should be right next to the edge of the blade. Push tray forward to cut and when the tray goes as far as it can, grab the back edge of the belly and feed it forward to complete the slice. Then you have to reset the belly at the downward angle and repeat. tedious to be sure, but still easier than hand slicing when doing bulk amounts.

Back