Aaron Franklin technique inspired bbq..In process

BrisKet looks like its from cosco but butt has a bone in it it looks like. I've never seen bone in butts from cosco before. May I ask where you got it from? I'm also in the LA area.

Sam's club. Hands down my favorite when it comes to pork butts. Plus I prefer bone in for smoking.

Gonna be some good grub!!! I'm with you on the bone-in butts. Sams here carries some nice ones at pretty good prices. Haven't found any good looking briskets there in a while though.

Heck Yes. 275-water pan- specific type and blend of salt and pepper. And the beer?? That's covered too. Low alcohol good tasting beer while cooking. I'm going to the Liquor Store soon to pick up his recommendations.

Nice cook. Good Job !!

Im looking and Im a liking! Nice spread for sure. And 4.7% is normal abv. Smoking and drinking is a commitment for a long leisurely session. A few 9% DIPA's and Id be burning some food or letting my fire go out.

Im looking and Im a liking! Nice spread for sure. And 4.7% is normal abv. Smoking and drinking is a commitment for a long leisurely session. A few 9% DIPA's and Id be burning some food or letting my fire go out.

Lol, Yep! DIPA's or Barley wine and trying to answer questions about your Q the next day. Like Wat?????

Alright guys and gals,

As I mentioned my peeps arrived 2 hours later than expected so naturally the cook had a two hour advance and I had to rest the brisket. Too long of a rest so it was overdone to me but I'm the only bbq snob in the bunch. Everything else turned out fine. BTW, plenty more food but all that I could fit on the XL platter.

Not to let the brethren down here are some pics. Pics don't do it justice other than the briskie.

Tato salad (Aaron's and amazing btw)

tdlSzBBh.png

My bbq platter. Sauces on the side were Not Ketchup Cherry Chipotle, Smoky Date, Spiced Fig :grin:

Pulled pork sammies on Hawaiian buns, slider buns, pulled pork by its lonesome, baby backs, sausage, chicken and the briskie

laQtXqWh.png

Chicken up top

LnABQ1wh.png

Pulled pork

U2DeVh5h.png

Sliders (Slaw, PP and Mustard Q Sauce)

Wa5tTLth.png

Sausage

oMcESxgh.png

Super tired by now and signing out from beautiful Southern California. Good Night!

Great looking platter. What a feast! Sorry about the brisket. I'm sure it was great, but I know that feeling. After investing all that time, effort, and money, if it ain't completely perfect, it's ruined.

I read Aaron's book and some really valid points in it which I'm adopting for today's cook plus the LSG rested long enough. Gotta a bunch of folks coming to the house in the evening so a perfect time to practice. For starters, I'm definitely digging the cooking with the firebox door open.

Anyway, brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sausage on the menu tonight.

JuPzSdJh.png

Brisket trimmed and seasoned exactly per Aaron's "instructions" plus a bone in butt season with Pork Barrel All American.

w5Wal4sh.png

Trimmed a good chunk (4lbs) of the brisket for burgers or.... That's some of the marbling in the flat. :thumb:

PxQo3C2h.png

On the LSG and hold steady at 275*

XHFisWuh.png

Super busy but taking beer break and to post. I'll do my best to post as I go through.

Cheers! See you in a bit.

6n7vqO7h.png

The firebox door and smokestack completely open allowing plenty of oxygen will guarantee you a clean fire so that your meat never gets over-smoked. That is the most important point I learned out of his book too. I have come to the conclusion that is the most important thing I have learned about cooking good Q on a stick burner. It is the key.

Back