FIRST COOK on the new Offset Smoker!!! Pictures and comments...

Thank you!!

Nice 1st cook. Takes a while to get use to it. If you put biscuits in various places of your smoker you can see where the hot spots are. Congrats and Enjoy

Prewarming the wood is a Great idea. I felt it helped keep the smoke clean and a better taste with the food

Ahh yes, thank you for reminding me about the biscuit test. I'd heard about that....I may give that a try!!

I found, at least for this run...I didn't get quite enough smoke flavor in my food.

Not sure if it was due to running too clean of smoke, or me using oak for the first time...I'd always used hickory in the past.

I might need to figure how to "dirty up" my smoke for the first bit of time the food is in and then let it clean up for like the 2nd half of the cook?

Anyway...thank you for the suggestions!!!

Greatly appreciated!!

C

My fire starting method for the offset: Use my Kindling Cracker to take some splits and reduce them down to smaller size sticks, e.g., maybe an inch thick. Take those reduced split sticks and build a Lincoln Log-style pile of wood in the firebox. Take my propane-fired weed burner torch and blast the pile of sticks (from below) for probably 30 seconds until they light up. Then close the firebox door enough to where the stack starts to pull all the air into the firebox without any smoke coming out of the firebox. Within a few minutes, the sticks should be blazing nicely, and you can add larger splits at your convenience.

OH cool!!

Did you throw them in "Nekkid" or did you do any spice rub/seasonings on the outside?

What temp did you cook yours to?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I seasoned them with Boars Night Out. Tasted REALLY good. I took mine to about 170 internal. They werent dry at all

Back