Have Shirley patio, do I need an Aaron Franklin?

Fsonicsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been very happy with my Shirley for eight months. My name just came up, after two years, for the AF. My question is tongue in check of course. No I don't need the Aaron Franklin. But I do kind of want one. I love my Shirley "Black Ops" with buggy wheels, hipped roof, and SS shelf. The build quality is unsurpassable imho. The thing I am not crazy about is the somewhat small firebox. I also think the smoke stack draw is just a tad on the weak side. Smoke tends to come out the fire box door unless the fire is really going perfectly and at full blaze. And I am not sure that a reverse flow offset is best configured with three vertical shelves the way the Shirley is, rather than one long grid.
The Aaron Franklin is not as nice looking to my eyes. Not nearly. And in my backyard those five inch steel wheels will be next to useless. But I like the idea of the larger, double-walled firebox and higher, longer smokestack.
This is not a "replace" question, it is a "should I get/have both" question. Anyone out there use or have both?

You don't need both. I've thought about it, too. I just can't justify it with all my other options. It would be nice, though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If you have the room and money I’d get it. If you don’t like it or like one a lot more than the other then sell one. I doubt you would be out anything.

I too feel like the SF fire boxes are very small compared to a straight flow Texas style (like the AF or Workhorse, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you have the room and money I’d get it. If you don’t like it or like one a lot more than the other then sell one. I doubt you would be out anything.

I too feel like the SF fire boxes are very small compared to a straight flow Texas style (like the AF or Workhorse, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll assure you the fireboxes are oversized and will feed a larger cooker….I’ll be spitting out some direct flow cookers very very soon…. They will have pipe fireboxes and if you used a pit calculator they would be well oversized… I don’t use a pit calculator…if would be of no use on a direct flow anyway…… as far as getting a Franklin…. If I punched a clock I would spend my money as I want to…. And I do…our 36 model has proven to be a huge winner and very popular for us…. It ain’t fer everybody but I could sell a hundred this week if I could build them…. Be on the lookout you’ll see some direct flow cookers … patio models very soon with the pipe fireboxes……. Tyler also just purchased 100 propane tanks….250 and 500 gallons… with the option of getting 200 more….we coming just wait and see!!!!!!!!

I’ll assure you the fireboxes are oversized and will feed a larger cooker….I’ll be spitting out some direct flow cookers very very soon…. They will have pipe fireboxes and if you used a pit calculator they would be well oversized… I don’t use a pit calculator…if would be of no use on a direct flow anyway…… as far as getting a Franklin…. If I punched a clock I would spend my money as I want to…. And I do…our 36 model has proven to be a huge winner and very popular for us…. It ain’t fer everybody but I could sell a hundred this week if I could build them…. Be on the lookout you’ll see some direct flow cookers … patio models very soon with the pipe fireboxes……. Tyler also just purchased 100 propane tanks….250 and 500 gallons… with the option of getting 200 more….we coming just wait and see!!!!!!!!

Good enough for me. I will wait for your direct flow. And the thing is-I don't need it. I just love a well built smoker! You would no doubt not remember me but I sent a bottle of bourbon back for you with my delivery to Columbus OH from Kevin (with a bottle for him too). I love the vibe I get from you folks at Shirley and will leave it at that!

Seems strange to think the SF would have too small of a firebox. Mine draws/cooks like crazy, almost convection like. Anytime it isn't is because I am using wood that isn't ready moisture wise.

As to having both, it depends on if you are good loosing a bit of money, if any when you choose to sell one. I have no want/need to run 2 stick burners but YMMV.

I would cook on both and see which suits my needs best and move the other on.

I've got a Franklin pit and I absolutely love it. I've never cooked on a reverse flow, but the Franklin is an awesome cooker. It took my brisket to the next level. Just having all that airflow does wonders for the bark and rendering the surface fat.

100% up to you, but I'm a firm believer that if you want something, and instead go with something else, that "want" never goes away and if you have the $$ you'll end up with the initial "want" anyways.

So I'd go with the AF direct flow pit, but you certainly can't go wrong with waiting for a SF direct flow pit either. Paul makes a hell of a smoker and we know 100% he won't sell it unless he's happy with it.

Note : I'm going off my personal experience here. When I opened my BBQ food truck I wanted a particular Johnson Smoker, but due to time constraints I went with a smaller pit which would be ready a few months earlier. 4 years later and my new smoker (the one I originally wanted) should be ready for pickup in about 2 weeks. ; )

Good luck/

Back