Double Birthday Celebration

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces.

Bit of a story here with some emotional content, so I hope you can bear with me.

As most of you know I recently moved to Queensland, which is a very long way from my parents living near Wodonga in Victoria.

So this weekend I boarded a plane to fly down to see them for the first time since I left.
P-20240224-143837.jpg

It was a bit of a surprise for my Mother.

Pictured here it was her 76th Birthday. And for the record it was my 57th Birthday as we were born on the same day.
P-20240224-190558.jpg

And for the record, this weekend marks 2 years exactly since my Mum was carted off to hospital with what turned out to be a very rare disease: Acute Necrotising Myositis. Most likely caused by the Pfizer covid vaccine, Mum spent 6 months in hospital. Of that time 4 months in Intensive Care and should really have passed away. In that time my Dad also had triple bypass surgery and I was at risk of losing them both through a time where we were still in a crazy lockdown situation by our government.

Anyway, so flying down to see them was a big deal for me.

Yesterday I started with some grape vine cuttings.
P-20240225-132556.jpg

And trimmed them down.
P-20240225-161753.jpg

I had a small rolled boneless pork shoulder which I brined for 4 hours in salt with some Clarke Crew brisket rub.
P-20240225-161914.jpg

P-20240225-162537.jpg

And put it on the top deck of the gasser with the grape cuttings on the side.
P-20240225-163052.jpg

Here's the old man at 82 years of age sitting with me out the back of the house.
P-20240225-182931.jpg

When it was done, it looked like this: wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it sit for an hour or so.
P-20240225-185140.jpg

The weather was lovely:
P-20240225-194116.jpg

In serving up, Mum did the slicing:
P-20240225-194317.jpg

P-20240225-194324.jpg

I'd also made a cold bean salad, straight from the garden.
P-20240225-194756.jpg

Plated, with the rest of the veg which was also largely done on the gasser.
P-20240225-195047.jpg

For an understated but very special weekend dinner.
P-20240225-195109.jpg

The pork turned out amazing. The smoke from the grape cuttings made a significant but subtle difference to the pork. It really was very good and I'll be making sure to use the technique again.

And for the record, I'll be making sure I never miss another double birthday. I don't know how many we have left. After what has happened to us all over the last few years, it certainly makes you think about what really matters in life.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
My friend, I can tell that was an absolutely special day and I am so happy that you got to experience it. It's good to see the folks doing well, I'm still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope there are many more gatherings like that in your future!

Happy Birthdays to you and Mum. You are right very few left. Both my parents were gone way too young. Spend all the time you can. Great looking dinner.

I can’t express enough my joy that you had the opportunity to visit your folks. I’m truly sorry you had to go through that crap with your parents, but ultimately glad you had an opportunity to visit them.

Happy birthday to you and your mom, Bill!

Happy belated, looks like a great time, glad your spending time with them, hope you are enjoying your new home and the different part of the country, have lived several places as a kid but have always been happiest in Tn

Happy birthday to you and your mum! That could have been a meal of hotdogs and it still would have been priceless. :thumb:

That was an awesome thing to be able to do. You're a good man. Parents look great. I remember them coming out of the hospital. You should put this cook into the Throwdown

Yes, Happy belated birthday the food looks good, but i know that is a huge 2nd to the other 2 people pictured in this story. Cheers and hoping for many more double birthdays!

Back