Mother's Day Cook

Oh my, hanging brisket has been around many years. If you're really curious Check this site for The PBC Appreciation Tread, The Oklahoma Joe's Bronco as well the WSM Owners who purchased hanging adapters. It was always fun when the inevitable Fat Cap Up or Fat Cap down question was asked and you're swinging meat to say- Fat Cap West.
ssv3 is/was a Pit Barrel conioseur/owner

#swingingmeatisatreat

Yessir!

The golden years of the forum. At least during my time here. The PBC was my most used cooker of all time. Sold the PBC when I got the Hunsaker but I still have the PBJ. Awesome cookers for sure.

Those rib brisket are a real treat. They've kind of disappeared on me as WALMARTS was the only place that carried them here on The High Plains. Last time I entered a Supercenter a mother and son were playing ring toss with the bananas.
Gristles, tips and irregular they make some of the best finger food.

Cheers to your family and a grand day

Thanks Adams! Agreed. Love me some rib tips. They're so delicious and super cheap too. Only place that constantly has them is Costco Business. $1 to $1.50/lb. People love them every time I make em

RG0SamDh.jpg

cXPlHY1h.jpg

Nice cook. That Brisket looks Amazing

Thanks George!

Amazing looking cook Sako!

Q: is the turkey roaster for holding briskets a new thing? I may have missed that. :oops:

If so, what do you think of the results of the prolonged hold time? Did that affect the bark at all?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

I've seen it done here and there. Basically it's to replicate the restaurant hold using Alto-Shaam or similar holding vessels. My main reason using the roaster to hold was to have an easy Mother's day by smoking the brisket Saturday and serving it Sunday afternoon at a specific time. I started smoking Saturday evening when the weather got nice and cool (it's started to get warm here) and placed the brisket in the roaster in the early AM hours set at 150*. Shut down the smoker and went to sleep, woke up and did my rib tips and rest of the stuff before everyone came over. It was nice to not worry about the brisket, feeding sticks, checking temps etc.

Really impressed with the results. Came out super moist, tender, fat rendered perfectly and the bark was spot on. Not soggy and the seasoning didn't wash off as the roasted was self basting and there was a lot of moisture in it. I did have it wrapped in butcher paper when I initially put it in the roaster.

My usual tasters said it was by far the best brisket I did. Even the non brisket lovers ended up loving it. It was a wagyu brisket though. I gotta reemphasize the way the fat had rendered almost jello like. Totally reminiscent of the texture I had at Franklin's.

LOnZ137h.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks George!

Thanks Bruce!

I've seen it done here and there. Basically it's to replicate the restaurant hold using Alto-Shaam or similar holding vessels. My main reason using the roaster to hold was to have an easy Mother's day by smoking the brisket Saturday and serving it Sunday afternoon at a specific time. I started smoking Saturday evening when the weather got nice and cool (it's started to get warm here) and placed the brisket in the roaster in the early AM hours set at 150*. Shut down the smoker and went to sleep, woke up and did my rib tips and rest of the stuff before everyone came over. It was nice to not worry about the brisket, feeding sticks, checking temps etc.
Awesome cook Sako. So how long did you actually keep the brisket in the smoker? Usual amount of time with foil/paper? Or did you pull out before it was done and finish in the turkey roaster?

Great idea either way as Alto Shaams are amazing

Awesome cook Sako. So how long did you actually keep the brisket in the smoker? Usual amount of time with foil/paper? Or did you pull out before it was done and finish in the turkey roaster?

Great idea either way as Alto Shaams are amazing

Thanks Willy!

5.5 hours in the smoker naked. Wrapped in butcher paper and put it in the roaster set at 225* for roughly 3 hours if that. At about 198*IT I turned the roaster down to 150* for the 12 hour rest. Sliced and served.

Back