Aaron Franklin technique inspired bbq..In process

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Sako
I read Aaron's book and some really valid points in it which I'm adopting for today's cook plus the LSG rested long enough. Gotta a bunch of folks coming to the house in the evening so a perfect time to practice. For starters, I'm definitely digging the cooking with the firebox door open.

Anyway, brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sausage on the menu tonight.

JuPzSdJh.png

Brisket trimmed and seasoned exactly per Aaron's "instructions" plus a bone in butt season with Pork Barrel All American.

w5Wal4sh.png

Trimmed a good chunk (4lbs) of the brisket for burgers or.... That's some of the marbling in the flat. :thumb:

PxQo3C2h.png

On the LSG and hold steady at 275*

XHFisWuh.png

Super busy but taking beer break and to post. I'll do my best to post as I go through.

Cheers! See you in a bit.

6n7vqO7h.png

Last edited:
What the....? 4.7% ABV? I like my water unflavored.

Lookin' good, can't wait to see the after pics.

Subscribed as well... and the damn weather there - wish I was outside drinking a beer... I'm looking at snow falling as I type this.

nice!

Question... so I tried to leave the FB door open like on his videos, but I was watching the heat escape from both ends of the cooker instead of just on the smoke stack. Do you think that would cause the cooker to use more wood to get to a certain temp? Seems like it would waste a lot of energy. So I took the middle ground and just had the door cracked opened... not wide open like on his vids.

Looking good Sako! If I can catch a plane in the next 20 minutes I could probably be there by dessert...

You've got a lot of Q going on. Looking forward to pic's. I agree, Aaron's book changed my approach to BBQ even with a WSM.

I cook with the door partially open and yes it does eat more wood but it's way easier to keep a coal bed.

What the....? 4.7% ABV? I like my water unflavored.

Lookin' good, can't wait to see the after pics.

Lol, Just warm up my friend. I'm into full body ipa's, stouts, porters etc. The heavy hitters comes out at night. :thumb:

nice!

Question... so I tried to leave the FB door open like on his videos, but I was watching the heat escape from both ends of the cooker instead of just on the smoke stack. Do you think that would cause the cooker to use more wood to get to a certain temp? Seems like it would waste a lot of energy. So I took the middle ground and just had the door cracked opened... not wide open like on his vids.

Honestly it's not wasting that much more wood then with the door shut but my cooker and his cooker are "direct flow". I'm getting a perfect 275* with my smoker with the door cracked and wide open when I throw in a new split. I even left my smoking chamber door open for 5+ minutes to wrap the meat and it came back up to 275 in about 5+ mins from 225ish.

Honestly it's not wasting that much more wood then with the door shut but my cooker and his cooker are "direct flow". I'm getting a perfect 275* with my smoker with the door cracked and wide open when I throw in a new split. I even left my smoking chamber door open for 5+ minutes to wrap the meat and it came back up to 275 in about 5+ mins from 225ish.
Makes sense than you

BrisKet looks like its from cosco but butt has a bone in it it looks like. I've never seen bone in butts from cosco before. May I ask where you got it from? I'm also in the LA area.

Back