THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay. So I'm torn between getting the Mak 1 or Mak 2 star. Thanks to rwalters explanation, I'm clear on the difference between the two. For those that have the Mak 1, do you regret not getting the 2 star? For those with the 2 star what made you decide to get that one rather than the 1 star?

Okay. So I'm torn between getting the Mak 1 or Mak 2 star. Thanks to rwalters explanation, I'm clear on the difference between the two. For those that have the Mak 1, do you regret not getting the 2 star? For those with the 2 star what made you decide to get that one rather than the 1 star?

I have had both and both are great! For me though, what pushed me to the 2 Star was 4 things.

1) 304 SS which can handle caustic cleaners making cleanup simple.
2) Indestructibility of 304 SS
3) Cold smoke/warmer box
4) A tad more headroom in the cooking chamber due to the rounded lid vs 45° angles of the 1 Star.

It used to also be the Flame Zone coming standard on the 2 Star... but that is now included on the 1 Star, which is sweet!!

Honestly though, you can’t make a wrong choice. Both are fantastic and will give you many many many years of good eating :)

How many full size hotel pans would fit on the 3 star ? One per shelf so 6? what's the clearance on the top shelf when the lid is closed? I think there are 4 shelf slots actually judging by some pics I found, but I'm guessing very little clearance when the top shelf is in.

How many full size hotel pans would fit on the 3 star ? One per shelf so 6? what's the clearance on the top shelf when the lid is closed? I think there are 4 shelf slots actually judging by some pics I found, but I'm guessing very little clearance when the top shelf is in.

There is actually a fair amount of clearance between top grate/lid. If you use these pans (see link) you would be able to fit 8 full sized aluminum hotel pans in the 3 Star.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ch...ty-foil-steam-table-pan-case/612FS7800HD.html

d95320a681b573e7774c0a9284b4c850.jpg

No, he said use it for awhile and see what I may want to add. Think that’s good advice. It comes with a upper grill grate so I’m off and Running.

P.s Theoretically I could I have a Workhorse 1969 and my Mak 1 show up within days of each other. I may need a good divorce lawyer in a month or so.....

Last edited:
Yep, the add-ons are where I'm torn now. They can really beef up the price of admission. I keep weighing what will be useful, what would be novel, what could make it 'worth' an upgrade, etc.

I'll be in for a 2star, once I make those decisions.

Yep, the add-ons are where I'm torn now. They can really beef up the price of admission. I keep weighing what will be useful, what would be novel, what could make it 'worth' an upgrade, etc.

I'll be in for a 2star, once I make those decisions.

Last time around, the group-buy incentives came in the form of store credit -- at least that was how I treated it. I made the initial purchase of just the 2* and then used the incentives to purchase add-ons that I ordered afterward. You might clarify with Caleb if that can be applied to items you already purchased. Robb or someone else might know. Since prices already include shipping, it doesn't cost extra to do it this way. Of course, this round might be different. I heard a rumor that if we hit 35+ the incentive will be a chaise lounge.

Last time around, the group-buy incentives came in the form of store credit -- at least that was how I treated it. I made the initial purchase of just the 2* and then used the incentives to purchase add-ons that I ordered afterward. You might clarify with Caleb if that can be applied to items you already purchased. Robb or someone else might know. Since prices already include shipping, it doesn't cost extra to do it this way. Of course, this round might be different. I heard a rumor that if we hit 35+ the incentive will be a chaise lounge.

Close.....it’s throw pillows.

Current PBC and Weber Kettle and Genesis owner here. Been looking at a Yoder for a while and then this group made me aware of MAK.

So now I'm deciding between the 1 and 2. Like others have asked, are there any "must have" accessories (especially if I go with the 1)?

Reading here it looks like the 1 has recently been given some features which make it a touch closer to the 2, big exception being the SS 304.

I know this is like a repeat post of what others have asked but this is a big purchase for me.

Current PBC and Weber Kettle and Genesis owner here. Been looking at a Yoder for a while and then this group made me aware of MAK.

So now I'm deciding between the 1 and 2. Like others have asked, are there any "must have" accessories (especially if I go with the 1)?

Reading here it looks like the 1 has recently been given some features which make it a touch closer to the 2, big exception being the SS 304.

I know this is like a repeat post of what others have asked but this is a big purchase for me.

If I could only have 2 accessories they would be a full upper grate and a cover. Even if it were an off brand cover from Amazon, I consider these two items biggies.

For what’s worth I went back and forth 1* vs 2* - the major differences seem to me to boil down to the ss and the cold smoker box, now that the 1* also comes with the flame zone. For me, a more minor difference is the cart and shelf (imho). I asked around a lot about about the aluminized steel on the 1* - users and the folks at big poppas - all assured me that it is super durable (and not prone to rust at all), if not quite as bulletproof and worry free as the ss on the 2*. I ended up going with the 1* with the full shelf, cover and Wi-Fi - the 2* would have been a real stretch particularly if adding accessories like Wi-Fi, and I just couldn’t get there.

For what’s worth I went back and forth 1* vs 2* - the major differences seem to me to boil down to the ss and the cold smoker box, now that the 1* also comes with the flame zone. For me, a more minor difference is the cart and shelf (imho). I asked around a lot about about the aluminized steel on the 1* - users and the folks at big poppas - all assured me that it is super durable (and not prone to rust at all), if not quite as bulletproof and worry free as the ss on the 2*. I ended up going with the 1* with the full shelf, cover and Wi-Fi - the 2* would have been a real stretch particularly if adding accessories like Wi-Fi, and I just couldn’t get there.

You will be VERY pleased when you see the quality of high temp powder coating on the 1*. Probably the best I have ever seen on a cooker. My first 1 Star was a used first generation model that came with a missing chunk of powder coating about the size of a silver dollar. No idea how it happened, but it sat like that for a long time as is and not a speck of rust on the exposed aluminized steel.

Back