Mystery Meat Ideas

There was an investigation into whether Calamari is pig rectum. Glad I don't eat it.

I usually stay away from calamari, but a local Italian resturant had fried calamari on the Christmas Eve seven fishes dinner. I didn’t know what it was when I ate it and it was really good. The owner told me it was fried calamari and their fried calamari is now the only calamari I’ll eat on the entire planet.

I love Mussels marinara now, but wouldn’t touch mussels 30 years ago. I guess our taste buds do change when we get older.

Our oldest state BBQ competition (KCBS) started a mystery meat category about 10 or 12 years ago. I can recall lamb chops, lamb shanks, beef cheeks, beef sirloin, pork tenderloin, walleye, shrimp and wings. The rules are relaxed, so about anything goes... for example a lot of teams turned in fish tacos with the walleye.

I judged a scrapple contest a few years ago. There were some surprisingly good entrees.

I would vote for pork loin. Cost effective and very versatile. Roast it, smoke it, grill it. I slice it open and roll with lots of different stuffings, grind it for homemade McRibs, made a nice Mojo roast last night for Cubanos. So easy to add any flavor you like to it. Just my $.02.

Back