Mystery Meat Ideas

Marwendholt

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello brethren, I am running a backyard contest at the end of January and we have a mystery meat category. They won't know what they are cooking until the morning of the cook when we hand out the mystery meat.

Last year we gave them ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, and sausage and asked for meatballs. It went really well.

What would be some off the wall ideas that wouldn't cost us a ton of money to purchase for 20 teams?

Hello brethren, I am running a backyard contest at the end of January and we have a mystery meat category. They won't know what they are cooking until the morning of the cook when we hand out the mystery meat.

Last year we gave them ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, and sausage and asked for meatballs. It went really well.

What would be some off the wall ideas that wouldn't cost us a ton of money to purchase for 20 teams?

How long will they have to cook ? Asking because if you catch it on sale, chuck roast is often pretty cheap, but it does take time.

Man I was watching Chopped the other night and one of the basket ingredients was pork uterus. If you could get your hands on 20 of those you'd be really challenging them!

On a more realistic level, maybe beef tongue if you can find them cheap and ask for lingua tacos?

Man I was watching Chopped the other night and one of the basket ingredients was pork uterus. If you could get your hands on 20 of those you'd be really challenging them!

On a more realistic level, maybe beef tongue if you can find them cheap and ask for lingua tacos?

Yet another time consuming dish. And while i love beef tongue made a few different ways, most people are probably grossed out by tongue. Im not gonna even get into uterus, lol.

How about some of those bone-in pork rectums over in the Woodpile?

Yet another time consuming dish. And while i love beef tongue made a few different ways, most people are probably grossed out by tongue. Im not gonna even get into uterus, lol.

Yeah, maybe not that off the wall lol. I'm not sure I can find 6 judges that will eat pork uterus or beef tongue.

Some thoughts we have had are a big chunk of bologna from the local butcher, a can of spam, a lb of shrimp. It's hard for me to choose because I want to try them all. I really wish other contests did this around here as I think it would be fun to try but I'm \stuck running this event.

pork chuckle!

That oughta separate the men from the boys, lol

You could do pork steaks. I like the idea of bologna.
Also, you could do the same ingredients as last year and ask for meatloaf instead of meatballs.

How about some of those bone-in pork rectums over in the Woodpile?

If the judges gave me pork rectums to cook, my aim would be to make the judges so sick from the dish that I would be barred for life and they wouldn’t even think to try something so ridiculous again. :sick: :mrgreen:

January in Indiana is the perfect time for a Luau!

Give them a pork butt, banana leaves, Hawaiian sea salt, and ask them to make Kalua Pork! Don’t forget the Leis, kings Hawaiian rolls, poi powder to make poi and plenty of Mai Tais. I threw a Luau just before COVID and it went over really well, and it is a great way to forget about winter for a while!

I’m planning/hoping to do a luau with a whole pig in a La Caja China cooker this summer.

Last edited:
Back