What do you eat at a terrible BBQ joint?

Orgetorix

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Yesterday, a group of friends who regularly eat lunch together decided to try a BBQ place nearby. I knew it wasn't going to be any good, but I went anyway for the fellowship. Unsurprisingly, it was terrible. I tried the rib tip basket because it was the cheap special of the day, and the tips were gross. Nasty texture, had clearly never been within miles of a smoker, slathered in mediocre sauce.

When you're forced to eat at a bad BBQ joint, what do you eat? What's the least worst choice? Assume all the normal offerings - ribs, tips, brisket, pulled pork, chicken, etc.

I'd personally go with a hamburger if it's offered ... or sausage.

Wait a couple weeks, they'll probably be out of business if it is that bad...............

Hot links are usually OK. Not great, but usually the IMO the best bet at a subpar joint. I love 'em at good places, and usually kinda like 'em at bad places.

Sausage or there is a local place that makes a BBQ frito pie so I get that when coworkers want to go there.

If I have never been I try the brisket to judge how well they know their stuff. If I know it is bad then I get sausage. It is really hard to mess that up.

If I'm sure it's going to be bad, or if it's a chain, etc - I usually end up on pulled pork, or a sandwich of some sort. Something that I won't spend much $$ on. PP is usually OK for me - I've had plenty of mediocre pp, but I'm not sure I've ever had pulled pork that I just couldn't/wouldn't eat.

Brisket on the other hand, I've had downright inedible meat that has made me sick. So if I suspect it's a crappy place, I'm not touching the brisket. If it's a potentially good place, brisket (or whatever they claim is their specialty) is my measuring stick.

Drive through on the way over?

Agree with some sort of sandwich that I can hide the taste with extra sauce, and I don't usually sauce my BBQ...

Wait a couple weeks, they'll probably be out of business if it is that bad...............

Here they win "best bbq restaurant" in whatever town they're located in. It's easy being the "best" when you're the "only", especially when people don't know what good bbq is.

Here they win "best bbq restaurant" in whatever town they're located in. It's easy being the "best" when you're the "only", especially when people don't know what good bbq is.

I'm surrounded by those too:tsk:

I check out what others are having. Usually pulled pork is least likely to be ruined. Generally avoid brisket. FWIW, I've never had good rib tips in a BBQ restaurant.

"I usually end up on pulled pork, or a sandwich of some sort."
It's hard to make this inedible.

Back