Pizza people: how do you encourage guests to eat hot pies without sounding like a tool?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Morning all!

Q for the pizza people: how do you encourage guests to eat hot pizza without sounding like tool?

Reason for the question. There have been several instances when making pizza for guests that the guests have been reluctant to dig into the hot, fresh delicious pizza that we've spent the past several days thinking about and them making for THEM (OK, and us). This despite us explaining to people, "Please dig in! The pizza is best when it's right out of the oven. Our pizza oven can only make one pie at a time. I've got more pizza to make so that everyone (eventually) gets food. Please don't wait for everything to be done or the pizza won't be as good."

I've been repeatedly unsuccessful (so far at least) conveying to people, "I've been thinking about this spectacular food for years. I've been reading/watching, practicing/learning, adjusting process/ingredients/tools in order to come up with something I think is amazing and I want to share it with you. I want you to enjoy something special. For this specific meal, I've been thinking about it and planning it for days. I understand and accept that in order to provide this food to you, I am going to be missing out on some of the conversation that's taking place while I run around making each pie. I'm OK with that cost of time away from my guests because I want to provide something special to you. What I hope is that you take the opportunity to enjoy this meal at it's peak of flavor, texture, and smell by starting to enjoy it while it is within a minute of being out of the oven."

Most recently, had some family/friends over for pizza. Told guests to please dig in...I'm going to be in an out of the house cooking pies. Reiterated that they should eat what comes out when it comes out because it's going to be a while before everything is cooked.

What happened? Everyone was standing around waiting while the pizza was getting cold. While I was bringing in the third pie and seeing some guests still standing around and the pizza not being eaten, I MAY have reacted a bit. :icon_blush:

I would appreciate suggestions for helping to either communicate effectively to people that they really should eat once the pies come out of the over OR to help me get over myself so I don't act like a jerk with my guests.

Pron from the most recent experience:

Margherita:

White pizza (smoked garlic oil, ricotta, and fresh mozzarella)

Cutting:

White pizza:

Mushroom and pepperoni:

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Those pies look great !!! Maybe .... invite different people .... serve wings instead .... I understand the frustration ... does that happen with other foods ? I've made pizza before but much smaller scale ... everyone can't wait to dig in ..... have them make their own pizza and bring it out for you to cook !!! Become a part of the process ...

Bruce,

Yikes, that certainly sounds like a frustrating experience. It seems like you've hit on the right communication points as it relates to the downside of not eating the pizza when it's hot. Have you inquired of any of your guests as to the "why" they are waiting to eat the pizza as it's getting cold when you've repeatedly explained that it's meant to be eaten hot?

Also is it possible that there is a reluctance from your guests to start eating right away as some may be left out on the first pie, so no one wants to be perceived as selfish by being the first in line? Also, perhaps they, like many people, are simply so used to eating at the same time all at once, the idea of eating as the pizza is served just doesn't quite register? Just thinking out loud here.

One suggestion that comes to mind would be to recruit a close friend or family member as a lead assistant who gets people eating right away while you're cooking - they can also function as a server, dishing out slices. Sometimes people need to be be led when it comes to unfamiliar territory and situations.

Nice pies��. I love my Blackstone. To answer your question, I, like you try to explain they need to eat it when it comes out. When all else fails I have a couple of pizza steels I put in my kitchen oven set to 250-300 to hold them.

You need hungrier guests. Are you serving heavy appetizers?

I have found when others are over and I'm cooking like crazy that I tell them to start eating and if they don't I just start eating it myself by grabbing piece of something and most likely someone else will jump right in which gets them all started. It is like no one wants to be the first lol

That looks wonderful!

Pizza is one of two things that I like more than BBQ. I have been frustrated making multiple pizzas, due to the process taking a while. If I was in your shoes, I would probably get disgruntled and be grumpy too.

When we have a family pizza party, it is easy to designate kids first and then, after people design their own pizza, we cook and they eat. That designates when they eat. If you are going to pick your own toppings and you want to make all the pizza yourself, you just roll with people eating when they want or you tell specific people when to eat. Or you get a larger oven and do several at once. It might not hurt to figure out a way to make thr pizzas close to the guests so you can talk and persuade more? Or, up your BBQ game so you can serve it all at once.

Thanks for the comments all!

RE: Hungry guests. No apps were served. I thought people would be hungry, especially after smelling the goodness that was coming off the pies! Perhaps that would be a way of "breaking the ice"...having other food available so that people are already eating when the pies arrive?

RE: reluctance. I think part of the issue when there's a group is what Moose noted: that people may not want to be perceived as being selfish by digging in. Perhaps apps prior to pies might help with that? Will have to give that a try.

@ RetiredRailroader: interesting idea. I would have expected that moving the pies to the oven creates another step needed to get TO the food and further delay the process. Definitely something to consider!

BTW: This seems to be more of an issue with folks that haven't eaten pizza with us previously. People seem to eventually learn that it really is OK (and not only OK, but encouraged!) to start eating once pies hit the table. Perhaps because I've been kind of, ummmm, vocal about the expectation to eat while the eating is best.

Bruce

It's completely the opposite in my case Bruce. They go fast and actually I tell folks to give the pizzas a few minutes to cool down a bit. When they're right out of the oven and piping hot the cheese and the toppings slide right off.

I'm with Richard and perhaps have assistance in serving the pies since I know you have to be fairly fast in knocking them out and you're really occupied during the cook process.

This is supposed to be fun, right?
If it bugs you that much I'd just quit doing it. Cook something else that is better suited for resting at longer periods.

I think the server idea is a good one though...

Sounds like you need 2 more pizza ovens so you can finish all 3 at the same time.

But I do like the idea of getting someone to start. That's how our family meals go-as soon as one person crosses that line, its game on. I learned a long time ago, there is no shame in being 'that guy.'

Are you cutting them into pieces appropriate for the number of diners? That could be the reluctance.

Or it could just be that these are people who would not have survived in ancient times. Evidence that we have overbred.

Never share your passions with other people and expect the same level of passion in return. Remember, it's a hobby for you but it's just dinner for someone else.

This. Or share your passion with people that actually know good food. There's been many times where I've done ribs or brisket with folks asking me why is it taking so long? Only to tell me after the meal that Dickey's or their oven baked fall off the bone ribs were better. :-o Nothing wrong with fall off the bone ribs but it's clear those folks were clueless about the art, passion and effort of "real" bbq. So I quit doing that and my "food" circle has gotten smaller but with people that really enjoy it and appreciate it.

Never share your passions with other people and expect the same level of passion in return. Remember, it's a hobby for you but it's just dinner for someone else.
Thanks for this perspective SonVolt! That's a part of this entire thing.

And, yes Sako, perhaps we can share pizza only with those that are as enthusiastic as we are about it.

Bruce

so i start by making the kids pizza, ham and pinapple or pepperoni.

The kids dont have the social anxiety stuff going on, nor do they eat the entire pizza. By the time the kids get their slice the next pie is being cut and at that point there is more than one pizza in play and the shyness of taking that last piece is no longer an issue.

BTW i am selling my pizza oven if you are in NorCal, check the classifieds.

Pizza.jpg

PXL_20220218_000625027.jpg

I would just serve something other than pizza to that group.Reserve pizza night for your family and cook something else for company.That is just me.If it upsets you,it is not worth doing.

Back