How do you size up a BBQ joint?

If it looks somewhat sketchy with a pile of wood out side, I'm in!

If it's nice and shiny and no wood? I'm out! I'm more than likely out if it's nice and shiny with wood though...

Keeping to the question's "before tasting any food", I would have to say...

1.) I check the smoker out back
2.) I smell the aroma of smoke in the air
3.) How personable the pitmaster is - Yes, I try to make conversation to see what the Q is all about to them.

Edit: I was going to say - There's a sticky-ness to the feel of the place. But that sounded too much over the top for not being clean...lol.

Good lord, you are correct. Not sure how I kept saying and thinking kreuz?!?! Smittys it was!

565b1c955c887ca4c9d9038a59dbff51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably know this. That actually was Kreuz up until a family squabble
sent them down the road a few years back.

I like the way that the fire is right next to where you stand in line!

I have to say I have never been to any Lockhart BBQ restaurant that did not disappoint me in some way. I think we have hit all of them at some point over the years.

We're southern transplants here in CA so it can be pretty funny what lots of people out here think "bbq" is.:loco: We put out some pretty good que ourselves so we're not into wasting money on fake stuff. Here is what I look for:

I want to smell the smoke, see the pit, see the wood. I won't go to these places where the "pit" is a kitchen appliance. I like to see what people come up with for sauces, but I want it as an option on the table or the side. Basically, I want to see the love go into the food.

"Tank House" out here in SAC puts out some good que if any of you are passing through in your travels and need a fix.

You probably know this. That actually was Kreuz up until a family squabble
sent them down the road a few years back.

I like the way that the fire is right next to where you stand in line!

That's right...this time we were traveling through and didn't have time for franklins so it was between kreuz and smittys as I had read the family had split....smittys had the huge parking area which was important as we were in this:)

42df272f4a825db51a6312f97c58405a.jpg

That's right...this time we were traveling through and didn't have time for franklins so it was between kreuz and smittys as I had read the family had split....smittys had the huge parking area which was important as we were in this:)

42df272f4a825db51a6312f97c58405a.jpg

If you ever get to Houston Texas you must try Corkscrew BBQ!
They don't have a large parking lot tho....

Bullet proof glass armed guards smoke coming out of cooker carry out will normally rule
Lots people liquid smoke boiled ribs or chains will pretty much guarantee huge disappoint ment mom and pops have to turn out good food their name is riding on it

I'm in and from Oregon but I spent a few years in OKC. My job has me driving around the willamette valley. When I moved back to OR, I would try any BBQ joint I would come across. Which is exactly why I ended up building my offset.

Now I only bother if I see a "real" smoker of some sort, and a pile of Oak.

The smell and sight of a smoky bbq aroma.
Good stack of hardwood.
Plenty of smoke stains around the roof line or chimney.
A family owned business that's been in business for a while.
An old aged neon sign.
A parking lot that's busy by 11:15 am that have pick ups, Lexus, old Buicks, Mercedes Toyota's.
An outdoor screened in open pit next to the main bldg. with a saw dust floor.
That's the as you drive up list, the once you get inside list is longer made be for another time.

My buddy and I tried out a new place over by the Galleria area in Houston Tx. Forgot what the name of the place was but it's a new place in town. Oh wait its called the pit room or smoke room something like that.

Strike 1 was there was no aroma of wood smoking or anything in the area....there was no wind to blow it away....and the firebox to the pits sit outside the building.

Strike 2....as we approached the building, the meat waiting to be sliced was sitting under heat lamps! Really? No warming drawer....or hey keep the pit rolling low to keep your product warm!

Strike 3 we noticed after having ordered and beginning to eat....these guys put way more thought in to their wine selection than anything else.

I'm calling this place out on strikes....only thing I really found interesting and would return for was the sausage.....had pretty good flavor from the spices used

Back