What type of meats do you cook but won't eat?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
I wrote this on another thread but I just can't do smoked chicken. Or Turkey. Never had one that I liked, even when I cook it myself. Are there meats you cook that you won't touch?

If I were to open a BBQ joint right now, it may be one of the worst ones out there because it won't have smoked chicken, smoked turkey, pinto beans, coleslaw, or any type of salad. Assuming the cook needs to like what he serves...

I am fortunate as I like most everything so I don't have a problem cooking what I don't like.

I never really liked ribs but I started cooking them and they started coming out pretty good so now I eat them pretty often.

I also am not a fan of pulled beef. Just doesn't really sit well with me

I smoke turkey for thanksgiving and I will eat it then but I'm not a big fan. Always preferred chicken personally.

I'm not a fan of seafood. I will eat salmon, tuna and shrimp. I'll cook lobster and whole fish but don't eat it. I also make a Mango Pepper Sauce but I hate mango.

I wrote this on another thread but I just can't do smoked chicken. Or Turkey. Never had one that I liked, even when I cook it myself. Are there meats you cook that you won't touch?

If I were to open a BBQ joint right now, it may be one of the worst ones out there because it won't have smoked chicken, smoked turkey, pinto beans, coleslaw, or any type of salad. Assuming the cook needs to like what he serves...

I didn't expect those meats to be the ones you don't like - since they are so mild flavored. What is it specifically about the chicken/turkey that bothers you?

I begrudgingly cook fish for friends. Outside only. I stay away from almost everything that comes out of water.
Hmmm, I'll eat almost anything that comes out of the water. But then I'll also eat almost anything with 4 legs as well. Except the innards, not a fan of those. :shocked:

I used to not like guacamole, but I made it so often for cookouts and tasted it so many times that I eventually started to like it. Now I love the stuff. :crazy:

I can eat most any meal, If I survive an arctic plane crash, the other occupants better be looking over their shoulder, but.. I have a really hard time with meatloaf, Won't cook it, can hardly choke it down. I blame dear ol Mom, lol

The only meat I have/would cook and not eat is lobster (lobstah?) and the only reason I wont eat it is due to a rather unfortunate allergy I developed.

If you don't like smoked chicken, grill it. No one at your hypothetical restaurant will complain because 1) you met the unwritten rule of having a chicken entree option, 2) most people wont know the difference between grilled and smoked and just will consider it BBQ, and 3) grilled chicken is 10,000 times better* than smoked chicken anyway.

* 10,000 times is a rough estimate, YMMV depending on your grilling skills.

I didn't expect those meats to be the ones you don't like - since they are so mild flavored. What is it specifically about the chicken/turkey that bothers you?

I've had too many leathery skin on my chicken and turkey that it immediately puts a bad taste in my mouth. Fried chicken is surrounded in oil so it is kept moist. Baked chicken usually swims in its own fat when baked so that is good. Rotisserie is bathing in its own juices.

With smoked chicken most of the moisture and fat are dripping away plus the skin being ruined... all that combined just gets a big NO from me. And like others said, maybe I just haven't had good smoked chicken. I was the same way with brisket for awhile when all I had to try was Dickey's dry brisket.

Back