How do you size up a BBQ joint?

bram03

Knows what a fatty is.
I was curious how you guys (and gals) size up a BBQ joint? Before you eat the food that is...

For instance if there is not stack of wood anywhere to be seen, it is a MAJOR red flag.

Also sauce on the table is frowned upon...

Anyways, what are yours?

Longevity.

I like to see how long they've been around. If they've been at it a long time I assume they've got a product that has stood the test of time.

At most any BBQ joint, I'm not expecting a miracle, I just want an honest plate of Texas BBQ for a fair price.

I never order the ribs-brisket-pulled pork. I enjoy the varieties of link sausage and sides. Therefore, I make up my own mind after I try it. Nothing magical about selection, walk in or drive thru and I recognize it when I taste it. I seldom eat sweets but a doughy peach cobbler that smells faintly of hickory or pecan is nice.

I never eat at BBQ Restaurants, I also never order a steak or burger when I'm eating out, because I can make it at least as good if not better for a fraction of the price. Almost always eat fresh fish when eating out because my wife doesn't like fish. Brunch yesterday was Pecan encrusted Mahi with Beurre Blanc sauce, side of Pecon encrusted Fried Green Tamotoes and smoked Gouda Grits.

I order what they claim to be known for.

Just happened to swing through Big Bob Gibson's on the way back from the WFC last month. Chris Lilly was one of my early BBQ idols so I was super stoked to actually visit. I ordered the half white sauced chicken, the BBQ potato with pork and the peanut butter pie. I loved it all except the coleslaw (the neon green slaw at 1 o'clock on the plate)which was waaaaaayyy different than we do it up north

351728F8-E4A6-4001-9F4D-912BA57E2010_zps8ewryqfd.jpg

On the other hand, my friend ordered the Brisket and was disappointed. That is his way of sizing up a place.

Go by what the joint hangs their hat on and judge from there

there's been a couple of bbq joints locally, but they always close fairly quickly. i tried one of them, it was good, but the price was too steep. another place used a regular traeger pellet smoker that you could see outside of their building. i mean, that's ok for home use, but if they were serious, i think they'd get something a little more commercial grade.

I order what they claim to be known for.

Just happened to swing through Big Bob Gibson's on the way back from the WFC last month. Chris Lilly was one of my early BBQ idols so I was super stoked to actually visit. I ordered the half white sauced chicken, the BBQ potato with pork and the peanut butter pie. I loved it all except the coleslaw (the neon green slaw at 1 o'clock on the plate)which was waaaaaayyy different than we do it up north

On the other hand, my friend ordered the Brisket and was disappointed. That is his way of sizing up a place.

Go by what the joint hangs their hat on and judge from there
Good advice for any new restaurant. There is a red sauce Italian joint near that does Italian better than anybody. But order any of their non-Italian options, not so good.

Save

I was curious how you guys (and gals) size up a BBQ joint? Before you eat the food that is...

For instance if there is not stack of wood anywhere to be seen, it is a MAJOR red flag.

Anyways, what are yours?

I look for foot traffic. If it's always slow at a restaurant, you know your meat is going to be old and dry from being held too long.

I don't mind sauce on the table! I would rather sauce things myself than see a hotel pan full of ribs braising in bbq sauce.

Just look at the parking lot at lunch time.But then again, never judge a book by it's cover.So the best way I know is just dig in and try the Que.

Anyways, what are yours?

I drive around back, check for a stack of wood and look at their pit.
No wires or gadgets coming out of the smoker is a good sign too.

95cf6ef0-4cd1-4f0f-850d-f9750f8b20e6_zps6sztm5uk.jpg

538d3c99-049c-450b-8269-646c2e08257f_zpsj8lzddxi.jpg

8e64aa29-9b82-4698-a69e-ebe79d85728f_zpskbfwg7dm.jpg

The smell and site of wood burning, what they are known for, how long in business sauce on table = options for me. Normally want to try their brisket as I can count on two fingers the number of times I have thought bbq joint brisket was "as good or better than mine"....franklins was 1 of those...kreuz market was not, although everything else was very good. Perfect bite on the ribs...

Most of the local places here in va tend to slice brisket very thin...Any place that serves brisket sliced like it came from a deli slicer is an automatic no go for me. Especially when they come wrapped in foil like little brisket fajita fixins.

I also like to try house sausages as I don't make mine from scratch and appreciate a fine link or two.

Walked into kreuz and this is what I saw...just a very cool place with the history, sights and smells of a great BBQ joint. brisket was actually my least favorite of everything we tried here though....sausage was on point and ribs were very good)

583228d084b43e9121334ebdc5008e9a.jpg

273e5a6fe319e04b1590ac9b49686c39.jpg

156f5c432d915c511ab96a4f36a6dfc5.jpg

ca045410fb345f1516ff0a27f720ccf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I look to see how busy they are & how long they have been in business. I will place my order with bbq sauce on the side. A good bbq joint don't need to hide their meat with BBQ sauce. If they can pass that test i will be back.

The only test I know that works for me is a slice of brisket flat. You nail that and you have my respect. Some of the ugliest cookers can turn out the best q.

I haven't eaten a time a BBQ joint in forever. Anywhere I find up here is not as good as what I can do. I like sauce on the table. That Big Bob potatoe looks good.

I looked at the Smok-Shak menu and pictures that Cowgirl put on .Place looks like a winner.If I ever get out that way I 'll have to try it out.

Back