What do you eat at a terrible BBQ joint?

Man, you all are harsh :grin:. Is it a question of the food actually being bad (inedible, something that you wouldn't feed your dog) ? Or is just not up to our standards of what makes good BBQ ?

Since friends or coworkers want to eat there, I'd wager that the answer is the latter. In that case, I'd go with very low expectations, figuring that I'm just there to put something edible in my stomach.

I mean, it's the same reason many of us eat at McDonald's or some other fast food joint. It's not as if the food is all that good. It just fills a need.

I avoid going to bad bbq...If I get stuck going, will have to go with pulled pork sandwich and sausage as a backup...

Hmm, anytime I get dragged out to the Dinosaur BBQ I just skip to food and drink the beer!

dude you're crazy! i've been trying BBQ places all over upstate NY and northeast PA and none of em come close to dino. the one in cuse is an hour's drive for me but my friends and i have gone up multiple times just to eat and come back home. i first started going back in 2004 and honestly from 2004 to 2010 or so it seemed just ok to me, but in the last 2 or 3 years i've noticed a couple things... ribs and brisket always seem to be really good, same with the mac n cheese, theirs is my favorite (aside from the stuff i make haha). i feel like their chicken's gone down in quality though. it's still good but i feel they don't render enough of the fat, it could use a little more cook time. the pulled pork's always been good too but i don't usually get it when i go out because it's so easy to make good pulled pork at home.

is there a place in the cuse area that you like better? i've found a couple that i've been wanting to check out, the only one i can remember the name of is limp lizard, my friends have been there and they like it

Hopefully the beer is cold, so we start there. If I must eat (it's RARE that I ever eat BBQ out any more) at a BBQ restaurant, and I feel it's pretty much crap, I'll probably order the pulled pork because as bad as it can be, it's not THAT bad... I did have one sandwich a few years ago where they put a surprisingly huge amount of pork on it, only to have delivered the most bland mush I've ever seen... My wife took a bite, I took a bite, and we threw them away (I wouldn't give that to my dogs; literally).

Cold beer, hopefully hot fries, and that pulled pork sammie.

Back