Yucatan Style Ribs

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
I've done Cochinita Pibil before, but ran across a couple recipes for ribs, so figured why not.

Start off with garlic of course and some Annatto paste. Basically Mexican red food coloring, but it does add some flavoring.

itmj2cXh.jpg

La8LYYXh.jpg

Add in Mexican oregano (totally different than your regular stuff), Red Habaneros, cumin and salt. Make sure you wear gloves, unless you want red fingers for a few days and to make sure you don't burn your eyes out after handling the habs.

5kXPgIph.jpg

U4NhcFFh.jpg

Used some Naranja Marinade rather than the orange/lime juice combo.

2ONcKVoh.jpg

Into the food processor to pulverize the annatto. Nice and red!

2xuw9zHh.jpg

Ribs into a vac-bag, add the marinade and into the fridge for a day.

FL3CDHJh.jpg

Part two includes banana leaves. You can find them in the freezer section of your local Mexi-Mart. Take the ribs out of the marinade and wrap in a couple layers of banana leaves and onto the Big Joe.

eQVM1lph.jpg

qZjyd0bh.jpg

The outside leaves wil dry out, that's why you want several layers.

E2JBtq9h.jpg

Open up the package, nice and tender.

uCqYpfYh.jpg

Slather with some marinade and back on the Joe to grill up a bit.

WdF5ZSoh.jpg

A3RSbLmh.jpg

And we're done.

gLn4nIQh.jpg

662HhqBh.jpg

Served up with some charro beans. Slightly spicy, definite garlic and citrusy. With a nice tug off the bone. Nice change of pace.

MbS2h7dh.jpg

yWom6WKh.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

Looks great!
I do pibil very often - I've stopped using the annato and can't really tell the difference (except the pretty color).
I'll have to try Fiesta Market at least once, my achiote looks like pebbles in a clear cello-wrap - maybe that's why I don't perceive any flavor.

Looks great!
I do pibil very often - I've stopped using the annato and can't really tell the difference (except the pretty color).
I'll have to try Fiesta Market at least once, my achiote looks like pebbles in a clear cello-wrap - maybe that's why I don't perceive any flavor.
The Fiesta Markets are in the burbs. Tony's also carries it, quite a few stores in the city.

A couple months ago went to a smokehouse and ordered normal ribs. I found out that they were out, and they asked if i wanted to replace them with Yucatan ribs. They were very tender, and the taste was different from bbq ribs but I wasn't the biggest fan.
Yours look very good and hope you enjoyed the meal.

A couple months ago went to a smokehouse and ordered normal ribs. I found out that they were out, and they asked if i wanted to replace them with Yucatan ribs. They were very tender, and the taste was different from bbq ribs but I wasn't the biggest fan.
Yours look very good and hope you enjoyed the meal.
They were good, very citrus & garlic forward. Good for a change of pace, but probably not something I would make all the time.

Back