Unwrapped Ribs???

Pan?

I've never wrapped a rack of pork ribs. I do pan some beef ribs though.
Don't spritz or mop either and cook at 250*F or higher.

I've not heard of "panning" things before....

Are you saying you simply put your beef ribs, nekkid, in a pan and the pan in the smoker...
Or, are you throwing liquids or other things in the pan with the ribs?

What's the purpose of the pan? To let it cook in its own dripping?

Thank you in advance!

cayenne

It is very possible to win 1st place ribs in KCBS without wrapping - not to hijack the thread into pro-comp, but no, you absolutely do not need to wrap ribs to make them amazing.

BBQ is all about (to me) knowing when it's done - that and fire control. Those are the two most important skills/senses you posses. Flavor is subjective, and all the other stuff are either tools in the arsenal or gimmicks.

I've not heard of "panning" things before....

Are you saying you simply put your beef ribs, nekkid, in a pan and the pan in the smoker...
Or, are you throwing liquids or other things in the pan with the ribs?

cayenne

Whatever you're cooking in the bottom of the pan with added liquid for a braze and then cover the top with foil.

I find it easier and more versatile than wrapping in foil.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes i wrap ribs, sometimes i don't. End product is slightly different each method but you can make a great rack of ribs either route. Try a few methods and see what you like

Did no wrap with ribs in my Chubby 3400 this past weekend. Turned out great! I think it is better for savory ribs vs sweet, tho. Ymmv, but hard to beat for the convenience in cooking, too.

Not one perfect way to cook ribs. I wrap, leave unwrapped and a few times cut the ribs by the bone and smoke them like I do chicken wings. Each way ends up with a different end product. I do not have a favorite way of smoking them. Thats what is fun about smoking meat, lots of ways of doing it. Also have fall off the bone or not. Pick up some racks and try a few different way.

I make them all types of ways. You may find this interesting. Last summer, my friend and I had a very friendly competition cook - He cooked on his Webber kettle low and slow, about 4 hours with the wrapping phase. I cooked on a gasser with no wrapping. Mine were done in 45 minutes with one flip during the cook at 350. As for the taste test, the only difference was the bit of charcoal flavor imparted on his. We both dry rubbed, and lightly sauced near the end. Take this as you will, just offering a tidbit of cooking experimentation. Happy eats to all!!

Did no wrap with ribs in my Chubby 3400 this past weekend. Turned out great! I think it is better for savory ribs vs sweet, tho. Ymmv, but hard to beat for the convenience in cooking, too.

I agree about the sweet vs savory. The last rack of ribs I cooked were straight S&P, no wrap, no sauce. Just meat, smoke and salt. Talk about convenient, and delicious. But, there are times where I get a hankering for rib candy too. Then I usually wrap in butcher paper for a while, but I still don't add anything to it. More so for color control with a high sugar rub.

I cook mine unwrapped. When I cook ribs I tend to cook 12-24 racks at a time. I make them for lots of friends and family. I buy then on sale under $2/lb. I can make lots of folks happy for not much money. When cooking I keep a water pan in there to keep the humidity up and keep the ribs from drying out. I also will sauce or glaze them in the last 30-60 minutes.

Back