• Sizzling Flat Top Charcoal Grilled Korean BBQ Cooked Two Ways

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
[FONT=&quot]Korean BBQ has got to be some of the tastiest food on earth, and something we enjoyed quite frequently when we lived in Los Angeles thanks to the wonderful Asian/Korean market just around the corner from us with a fine selection of ready to cook pre-marinated Korean meats. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, now that we’re living in middle Tennessee, that’s not an option, so we’ve had to come up with our own recipes to duplicate this mouth watering cuisine at home. Two of the most popular dishes are Short Rib Kalbi, where bone in or boneless beef short ribs are marinated in a soy/sesame/sweet marinade, and Bulgogi, a spicy chile based marinade usually used for pork, though we often use chicken. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Last year after quite a bit of tinkering, we found we had come up with respectable equivalents of these marinades, and have served them to numerous guests to very positive reviews.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The latest installment of our Korean BBQ started out with some boneless short rib meat, which I began slicing into thin strips:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
c7fmreL.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After it was all sliced, I put it into a bag and poured in the Kalbi marinade:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
VXu7TpF.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
pnstfbJ.jpg

[/FONT]
zDe3KdC.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Then a similar approach with boneless chicken thighs, which were first pounded into relatively equal thickness pieces:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
DtrfrVa.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In went the bulogi marinade:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
PRkQJe9.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The meat went in the fridge for the whole day.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fired up the Weber kettle, with grilling flat top, and started with the beef:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
qq5B1PC.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
omeniFS.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the beef was done, cooked up the spicy chicken:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
3xo4iE9.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here’s the whole meal plated, with kimchi fried rice topped with spicy chili oil & crispy garlic chips:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
fU9ejVK.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks fer lookin![/FONT]

That looks killer Richard. Nailed it!! Galleria misses you too. :-D BTW, there is even a Mitsuwa now near your old place.

The meal looks fantastic! I just flew in to San Diego, and a charcoal fired Korean BBQ restaurant is the plan for tonight.

Now you just need to figure out how to do the 47 sides that come with it!

Also, any more information on that flat top? I've love something like that, and a cursory googs of 'grilling flat top' didn't show anything quite like that beaut!

The meal looks fantastic! I just flew in to San Diego, and a charcoal fired Korean BBQ restaurant is the plan for tonight.

Now you just need to figure out how to do the 47 sides that come with it!

Also, any more information on that flat top? I've love something like that, and a cursory googs of 'grilling flat top' didn't show anything quite like that beaut!

FWIW, I always found the sides served with KBBQ somewhat lackluster to downright nasty compared to the grilled proteins, though we do love good Kimchi just about anytime of day!

Here's a pretty close approximation from Weber of the flat top I used(these are Amazon links):

https://a.co/d/dw0BQrk

Or a less pricey version from Kingsford:

https://a.co/d/2ofIDW0

Either way, grilltops like these are indispensable for cooking meats like this over an open flame, and keeps the meat from falling into the fire. I've also used them for cooking grilled veggies from time to time.

That looks killer Richard. Nailed it!! Galleria misses you too. :-D BTW, there is even a Mitsuwa now near your old place.

Sako, Galleria may miss me, but not as much as I miss Galleria!

I sure miss the sushi grade salmon and ahi tuna from Galleria, among many other things from that market. You ever eat at Pita Pocket just a little south of there in the shopping mall with the Von's? If not you MUST get one of their chicken shawarma wraps.

Looks awesome!! I need to start experimenting with Korean!

BTW - I picked up that pan at Depot last year. It was a great price since I got it off season, like around now.

Moose!

Love it!

Having travelled extensively through Asia, there are so many cuisines I love, but Korean is pretty much at the top of my list. I've posted a few Korean style flat top efforts before and given some references.

The best of these:

https://www.maangchi.com/

I've got both her books and she's an amazing YouTuber.

Secondly Roy Choi:

https://www.amazon.com.au/L-Son-Life-City/dp/0062202634

Roy is an Amazing American success story and loved his work with the movie Chef and the Netflix series that came after.

Of my 100 or so cookbooks I had, both Maangchi's and Roys books made the cut to come up here with me to the Gold Coast. Roy's book is also a success story so well worth the purchase.

Roy's Kalbi marinade is amazing and check out his "Splash"

Loving it.

Cheers!

Bill

Back