Unwrapped Ribs???

elm

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Eric
I just rubbed down a lovely, tender rack of St. Louis style spareribs, planning to add smoke tomorrow, I really want to try smoking them at 250-275 unwrapped until nice and tender. Is this recommended? I know a lot (most?) folks wrap their ribs at some point during the cook. This far-from-the-south Idahoan would love any thoughts/advice from the Brethren!

I too am a no-wrap guy. 250 deg and I start checking for done at 4.5 hours, usually call it good at 5-6 hours, probe and bend test. Seldom sauce but once in a infrequent while the devil gets me with a bottle of Stub's Spicy.

• Thanks
Reactions: elm
I smoke them at 250 on a smoker, and go turbo on my BGE at 350.

No wrap. and I've never felt the need for it if the cook is properly monitored.

The TV show wrap with tons of brown sugar and and honey wrap gives me a huge tooth ache. Not into cotton candy ribs.

I want to taste the pork. :-D

Not making fun of you, but I think your question is hilarious.

Yes, cook your ribs unwrapped. 275f. I recommend spraying them every 30min or hour once the bark is set. Will probably take 4-5 hours. Not only will everything be fine, that's the best way to do it IMO.

• Thanks
Will probably take 4-5 hours. Not only will everything be fine, that's the best way to do it IMO.

Err on the side of 3 hours and change to see how the pull back is from the bones. Look for an IT of 200 and change to pull.

You need to stay on top of ribs cooking at 275 and plus.

These are ribs done at 350 for a one hour, 45 minute cook time.

91vuIGnh.jpg

• Thanks
Those look delicious! Is there a big difference in final product between 250 and 350?

I love to cook my ribs at home unwrapped. Just as was previously mentioned, I spritz throughout the cook, but I prefer them that way. I do competitions and hate wrapping them, but if you want to be competitive, it is pretty much recommended.

• Thanks
Theres a fine line between wrapped or not. You could go hot and fast unwrapped and be done in less the 3 hours, or you could go low and slow unwrapped for 6 hours and end up with pork jerky. Nothing worse then that thin layer of tough pork jerky on the surface. You can tell when someone post pics of them sliced and it shreds on the top. Dead giveaway.

• Thanks
Use to wrap especially at comps. Last time I cooked ribs they went unwrapped. Had to use a rib rack as I did 4 racks of baby backs on my Large BGE. I usually cook on a raised rack. Turned out great.

I wrap...

I just rubbed down a lovely, tender rack of St. Louis style spareribs, planning to add smoke tomorrow, I really want to try smoking them at 250-275 unwrapped until nice and tender. Is this recommended? I know a lot (most?) folks wrap their ribs at some point during the cook. This far-from-the-south Idahoan would love any thoughts/advice from the Brethren!

I do wrap...but not always. Sometimes I drink too much beer during the day and kinda forget...haha.

But actually my "wrap" is more or less for the rest phase of my ribs, and I've had good results with this.

I generally throw my ribs in about 250F...and I don't open the door and look at them for about 4 hours.

At that point, I"ll spritz them with whatever I put in a bottle that day.
Last time was cider vinegar and some home brewed apple hard cider!!
(I did a mead spritz too one day...was good).

Anyway, when I see the bones start to pull away...I'll wrap them in butcher paper, sometimes with some spritz, or even some beef tallow if I'm rendering that on the smoker that day....

I'll throw these back on...usually till they reach about 202F internal temp...or when I pick the rack up, I can feel the rack start to slightly 'bend' in the middle.

I bring the ribs in then and leave in paper till I"m ready to eat.

So, I kinda wrap mine for the what I call the "Rest+" phase.....

So far, works well with last racks of St. Louis ribs....perfect fat rendering.

I didn't used to really care for ribs honestly...I always had too much fat on them, and I just have never liked eating globs of fat....

Even since I got the offset, I now have learned how to cook them to render that fat off and into the meat....and now, I LOVE the damned things!!

Anyway....that's my $0.02.

cayenne

• Thanks
Hmm...ribs

Ok...well, as a coincidence, after posting on this rib thread, I just opened the weekly grocery store circular...and BB Ribs on sale!!!

(Good Mardi Gras parade faire).

I'm gonna stock up. Now that I've leaned how to render fat, I lean more towards St. Louis ribs these days....but I still like a good Baby Back Rib.

I need to relearn to cook these..as that I tend to dry BB ribs out a bit at times.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 9.24.40 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 9.24.40 AM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Thanks
Back