How much untrimmed brisket per person?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello everyone,

As many here know, I am hosting a BBQ / pot luck for my local neighbors. It looks like we'll have between 12 and 15 people. People are asked to bring an appetizer, side dish or desert to share but honestly don't believe that everyone will. I smoking brisket, grilling chicken thighs, and making barbecue beans. I'd have to assume that most are not big eaters. It's a 55 & over community so all are seniors, most women. I'd like to have a little left over, but not much. I do not plan on providing neighbors w/ leftovers to leave with.

I'd prefer to not do more than one brisket, but two smaller ones will probably cook faster one monster one. I plan on hitting Costco Business for the meats. Looking to get prime brisket. How much untrimmed brisket (by weight) should I cook for this event (i.e. 12 - 15 people who aren't big eaters, also grilling chicken, w/ sides)?

Thanks in advance,
JD

To clarify, I do plan on trimming and I do trim aggressively. I'm just wondering how big of a brisket by weigh I should purchase for this event.
Thanks in advance!
JD

Since you will have other proteins, I would plan 1/4 lb. cooked per person. Using 50% yield that would be 1/2 lb per person raw.

Thanks,
Sooooo the typical 11-15 will allow for aggressive trimming if necessary, some seconds & an enough leftover for chili, shepherds pie or tacos.
Perfect!
Thanks again!
JD

Since its a Seniors party, i would cut the 1/4 pound per person down to 1/8 pound. Also cook the brisket to 210-220F instead of the usual 195-205F

Back