Well, I pharked up a brisket

I would bet on too much radiant heat from the bottom. I have a Shirley with a big fat plate along the bottom, when I want to speed things up they go on the lower shelf. Next time use the upper rack & I’m sure that it will be fine. Think about your cooker, it is a bottom cooker essentially in that configuration similar to a pellet cooker, Kamado, UDS, whatever just move the protein as far away from the heat source as possible. Don’t beat yourself up, while it sucks it happens, it’s how we learn.

I’ll also suggest that you raise the brisket up off the floor of your roaster since that will cause the same thing. My roaster has a little grate in it & the way I run it is to let the brisket cool down before putting it in the roaster to 160 or so then put my probe in the brisket & use the dial to control the brisket temp vs the roaster temp as it states, I’m not sure that you can trust the dial temp on these cheapie roasters so using my temp probe in the meat is 100%. I can then keep my brisket at 150 or so for however long I want with no fear of it drying out.

Again, can't thank you all for your input. Seems like my primary issue is I was treating it like a traditional horizontal offset, and well, they just don't work that way.

tuning plate adjustment too

be prepared for the brisket redemption thread :cool:

Last edited:
Yep! Pretty accurate. I run it at 325 but realistically it runs about 275*. So running at 275 is actually running it at 225 to 250. It's a big box so you won't get precise temps unless you hook up a maverick themometer or whatever people use nowadays.

In reality though it cooks pretty damn even. When I loaded it fully I don't every flip or rotate. Load it in and take it out at the end of the cook.

IJJqzEzh.jpg

Chicken at the very bottom rack

NaGgkCfh.jpg

All but the fried chicken cooked on the LSG. (actually a lot more than seen in the pics)

gi5bfShh.jpg

I need a plate of this! Well done

Would this be the time and place to consider fat cap down??? Also, I don't like the looks of the tuning plate placement. On my LSG (not vertical) the gap between FB plate and the next one is 1/16" to maybe 1/8" at most.

You'll figure it out.... Looking forward to your next effort. I just wish brisket wasn't so $$$ right now.

Would this be the time and place to consider fat cap down??? Also, I don't like the looks of the tuning plate placement. On my LSG (not vertical) the gap between FB plate and the next one is 1/16" to maybe 1/8" at most.

You'll figure it out.... Looking forward to your next effort. I just wish brisket wasn't so $$$ right now.

Same on mine.

Back