Tri-Tip or Chuck Roast as a Smaller Substitute for Brisket?

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm now an empty nester so the idea of smoking a smaller cut of beef than the traditional packer brisket I normally smoke is appealing to me. I've read where folks smoke Tri-Tip and Chuck Roast like a brisket (cook till tender at roughly 200ish degrees, not med-rare) with similar results. I've not yet tried this but I would like to if it will taste similar to brisket.

What are your experiences smoking smaller beef cuts in lieu of brisket? Are the results good?...similar to brisket? If so, which cut do you prefer? Seems you would want a cut with high fat content...Is that what you look for? What techniques do you use to get the best results? How long does it take to smoke these smaller cuts?

Thanks!

Chuck is a decent substitute. It slices nice at 190-200 and pulls at 205+.
Or smoke till 170 and then braise for a couple hours. Fall apart pot roast.

Two alternate names you can search for here are Chuckie and Chusck

You'll get a hundred or more hits with those.

I smoke tri-tip regularly, I usually pull it at 135°. If you smoke it to 200°+ you will find it will taste like brisket.

I’m in a similar boat with an empty nest, so these days I usually just buy a brisket flat smoke it and slice and vacuum seal before freezing for another day.

Anyone tried smoking Tri-Tips? How does it compare to "chuckies"?

If you treat a Tri Tip like a brisket, it will turn out like the leanest flat you ever had. Short ribs are the closest your going to get to brisket ( even better imo ) and chuck roast being a close second.

I smoked a tritip and it was as good as any brisket I have eaten. Smoked until it was 200 IT, cooled for 10 or so minutes, then let it sit in the oven, wrapped on 170 for 6 or 7 hours until slicing.

I have also done a chuckie , about the same way and it was good, too but I feel like the slices were nicer on the tri tip.

Can of worms HogFan. I too am an empty nester like Gary. I still do the full packer and vac seal. Probably the best result. I would do the same with a chuck, but I only did that at a time when brisket was not available in Downside Up Land because nobody knew what it was. Now they do.

Tri tip. I still like to smoke gently to 115 F and reverse sear. It's so good I don't want to take it to 200+. There are limits.

Short ribs is an interesting option to try Itsdone. Thanks for suggesting that!

While not exactly short ribs, when i buy a bone-in ribeye, i cut off the bones and smoke them.

20230509-231733.jpg

I would agree short ribs is probably the closest thing.

If freezer space isn't an issue I frequently vac seal unsliced portions of brisket. We reheat in a sous vide and it's pretty close to as good as fresh.

Found a local Fresh Market with beef short ribs on sale for $8.99/lb so I think I'm going to try that this weekend.

Thank you everyone!

Back