What type of smoker to buy?

Smokin-it (open door, toss a chunk of wood in the tray, put protein on a rack, shut door turn nob, walk away)

I'm surprised that a PBC would be easier to use then a WSM just based on the fact it's such a pain to add fuel during a cook. I have a WSM and a UDS and Enjoy my WSM more for that ability.

You pretty described the PBC right there.

Bob it sounds like he doesn't even want to start a fire, unless it involves just pushing a button or flipping a switch. If that's the case it's Electric like a Smokin-It or a Pellet Grill. Firecraft has what looks like a nice PG for $900 with free shipping but he'll have to put it together.

An old steel wheel, a bag of match light and a stick --cook caveman style. When cool roll the wheel out of the way till next cook.

Davey Crockett Pellet smoker? Cost like $350? Big enough for a pork butt , chicken etc. I guess a couple racks of ribs, sitting sideways on some metal rack or something. Been a while since I had it. Sold it because I had too many pits lol.

I'm surprised that a PBC would be easier to use then a WSM just based on the fact it's such a pain to add fuel during a cook. I have a WSM and a UDS and Enjoy my WSM more for that ability.

With the PBC cooking in the 275° -325° zone most foods will cook fairly quick. It will also run for up to 10 hours or more on one basket of coals. So most PBC owners have never found the need to refuel.

Casting another vote for 'take out' - it sounds as if this fellow does not want to be involved in a cook. There is NOTHING wrong with this-but he does really want a smoker unless it comes with a butler accessory. (for a fella like this - nothing will be hands off enuff) :-D

How about an electric "smoker" and an AMNPS to add better smoke with less hassle than wood chips in one of those things. That would be dead simple. Turn it on and set temp, light the pellets, ignore for 10-15 hours, eat.

"Can't easily refuel a PBC or UDS?" That apparent design flaw is a deal breaker for some folks- even though most users would never ever have need to refuel.

Be like "but what if I need to?"

ALL of the other plusses to owning either fade to insignificance. /smh

"Can't easily refuel a PBC or UDS?" That apparent design flaw is a deal breaker for some folks- even though most users would never ever have need to refuel.

Be like "but what if I need to?"

ALL of the other plusses to owning either fade to insignificance. /smh

If hanging your food and in the very rare instance you need to refuel, light a chimney of charcoal and when the coals are ready slide the meat out of the way and dump the charcoal. Doesn't seem hard to me.

It's difficult when the criteria is so specific though, I mean, if you want to get into smoking, you have to be patient enough to understand you just don't pop something in to a smoker and amazing happens. I have friends that think like that and to me it's more "just go toss a frozen lasagne in the oven and call it italian food". Not to bag on your buddy, but I think we all know it is more than a mindset of "I want to do absolutely nothing and have it be incredible". That's not "getting into" anything.

If hanging your food and in the very rare instance you need to refuel, light a chimney of charcoal and when the coals are ready slide the meat out of the way and dump the charcoal. Doesn't seem hard to me.

I've been a PBC owner several years. I am constantly amazed how folks that don't, haven't and probably never will own one- know the faults and how it should be made better. With conservative estimate 150-200 cooks on my PBC- not once have I added fuel to a cook. Not once.

These are funny.
Crock pot-check
Going out to eat-check
Just use your oven-check
Liquid smoke-check
No one said boil your ribs? So I guess I will. I don't know what the next step it but step one: boil your ribs. In a big ol' pot I'd take it. Who knows the next step????????

Honestly, I call my Weber Kettle my set it and forget it. Once you, er, I mean your friend learns how to set up the coals into different formations once the lid goes on it doesn't come off til it's done. Set and forget! Moist smoked tender juicy BBQ everytime.

Dude wants to eat homemade BBQ a half dozen times a year without doing any work.....I think he's fishing for more invites to your house, tell the fella to supply the beer and meat and head over to your place.

If he already has the gasser, why doesn't just buy tinfoil and woodchips. Get it to temp, put foil pack of chips on burner... walk away. maybe throw another pack on if it is a longer cook. Not going to get an amazing smoke ring but he'll turn out something worth eating.

For years I used the smoker box/burner on my Weber gasser and turned out some good (not great) stuff. Actually it was good enough that my wife thought I should finally get a "proper" smoker and forced my hand into a buying a stickburner.... which should arrive tomorrow!

If he already has the gasser, why doesn't just buy tinfoil and woodchips. Get it to temp, put foil pack of chips on burner... walk away. maybe throw another pack on if it is a longer cook. Not going to get an amazing smoke ring but he'll turn out something worth eating.

For years I used the smoker box/burner on my Weber gasser and turned out some good (not great) stuff. Actually it was good enough that my wife thought I should finally get a "proper" smoker and forced my hand into a buying a stickburner.... which should arrive tomorrow!
Good advice. And congratulations on the stick burner!

Back