Best Pellet Smoker Regardless Of $

100% happy with my MAK 2*. I've only had 1 issue - a failed thermocouple. Called on Monday, parts made it from Oregon to OK by Wed. They walked me through the install. Couldn't be happier with the service. The thing is a darn good grill and a darn good smoker. Didn't really think I cared much about the warming box, but that thing is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

They are pricy, but with a lifetime warranty and Johnny-on-the-spot service, I gotta say it's worth the price.

Well 1 thing i cant wrap my head around is if they all use pellets and the same kind how can they differ much on flavor?

It's in their controller - how much they overshoot and then let the pellets smolder, or if they truly keep a continuous clean burn going with rock steady temps. More roller-coaster temp = more smoke/flavor. It doesn't have to be big wild swings, but you need the smoldering time to get smoke.

It's in their controller - how much they overshoot and then let the pellets smolder, or if they truly keep a continuous clean burn going with rock steady temps. More roller-coaster temp = more smoke/flavor. It doesn't have to be big wild swings, but you need the smoldering time to get smoke.

That can be controlled by the "P" setting on some pellet smokers such as Pit Boss.

If I had room for it and $$$, I'd have Nelson White at Outlaw in Boise make me something like this.

Nelson does amazing work, and will make you pretty much anything you want.

Not very interested in owning a pellet cooker - been there done that, but if I were…

They are ridiculously expensive…but I’ve always admired Memphis Grills.

Far as I know they only build 2 models: the Pro, which goes for $4999. And the Elite, which goes for $5999.

Their claim is higher searing temps than most, or all other pellet grills - something like 1000 degrees? And they also claim to have a direct flame function, which, to my limited knowledge, most pellet poopers can’t do.

Red

Thanks for this Red. I do like a lot of things I am reading about these. But like with most things, there has to be something that leaves me scratching my head. As much as seems that they are doing to be a very good smoker manufacturer, for the life of me, I cannot understand why some of the better units don't have more headroom. In just about all cases, no matter what type of smoker I am using, I like to have a grate that is high enough above the main level that I can cook on and have a drip pan below it. I will call a dealer and see how much room there is between the main (or lower) grate and the channel that you can slide in the optional grates. In the pictures of both of the Memphis pellet smokers, it looks to be so close that an aluminum pan won't even fit without disturbing the circulation of the heat and smoke.

But it is worth looking into. Thanks again for the info. This is exactly why I started this thread in the first place. I had never heard of Memphis Grills, even after lots of searches, all worded in different ways, to find more manufacturers and models. I appreciate it.

Holy Cow! I just did another search and found this site called Pelheat, A to Z list of pellet grill/smoker guide. It looks like it is going to be pretty helpful.

I am very familiar with the P setting on my pitboss, my thoughts are to pick the style and finish you like, I don't see a real lot more of flavor that can be squeezed out of the same pellets, no matter how much $$ you spend you will find things you want to change, having a way to change it means a lot, find a good welding shop close to home, most will have built smokers at least for themselves and will have a lot of knowledge. good luck lot of choices out there.

Cookshack FEC100 doesn’t have the wifi gadgetry but hard to beat. Heavy, stainless, insulated. I’ve coveted a Yoder but the eventual tear apart and repaint doesn’t appeal to me.

Not very interested in owning a pellet cooker - been there done that, but if I were…

They are ridiculously expensive…but I’ve always admired Memphis Grills.

Far as I know they only build 2 models: the Pro, which goes for $4999. And the Elite, which goes for $5999.

Their claim is higher searing temps than most, or all other pellet grills - something like 1000 degrees? And they also claim to have a direct flame function, which, to my limited knowledge, most pellet poopers can’t do.

Red

It's my understanding Memphis Grills were American made and are now Chinese made. I've seen many people praise the American ones. I believe Cowgirl has one. However the Chinese ones made now don't seem to be up to the old standards. Just sayin' to investigate thoroughly and be sure which one you're hearing or reading about.

If money wasn't an issue i would get a Pitts and Spitts Hybrid model. It's a Pellet smoker/stick burner/gas grill all in one. And its built like a tank.

My 2 year old Yoder ys640s is horribly rusted already and looks really bad. I'm disabled and I'm not going to be able to disassemble it, sand it, and repaint it. It's not just a spot or two. I've brought this up in yoder forums and have been attacked as if it was my fault, or told by a hundred people that theirs didn't rust. I don't care, mine did.

It's not my fault, I paid a ton of money and bought accessories too, have taken great care of it - it looks like crap and while my little gazebo isn't worth much money to many people it's all I have and i am proud of it. I hate taking the cover off when people are visiting. At some point I'm going to have saved my pennies and I'll sell it and buy a Pitts and spitts.

On a sunny day when my legs are up to it I will roll it into the sun and take some pics. Others of course will have their view but I'll never buy another Yoder anything.

It's my understanding Memphis Grills were American made and are now Chinese made. I've seen many people praise the American ones. I believe Cowgirl has one. However the Chinese ones made now don't seem to be up to the old standards. Just sayin' to investigate thoroughly and be sure which one you're hearing or reading about.
Sounds like new Weber products

That is so disappointing. Those are a chunk of money and to think that a company would sell a cheaper version of what was once a good product just to make a greater profit is a horrible reoccurring theme. If that is true, I'll have nothing to do with them. Most companies who do that will gladly say that their profits have not increased, they only did it to offer their products at a more reasonable cost to you. Junk at a reasonable price is junk, and I am sick of it. I am not saying that things made in China or similar places are always bad. And I know that you can buy American-made junk too if you are not careful. In either case, when you hear that their quality has gone down, they lose me as a customer. I appreciate the heads-up from people like you. That is just too much money to spend and then hear, the quality has gone down. Thank you for that. Next!!!

I’m not in the pellet market, been there done that but from what I’ve seen the LSG is the best of the best. Take their great design based off of the 20” smokers & add a Fireboard to it means a winner in my book. I had a Fireboard for 3 years, flawless operation every single time with the best user interface. If I was in the market I’d have one headed to NH as soon as possible.

My 2 year old Yoder ys640s is horribly rusted already and looks really bad. I'm disabled and I'm not going to be able to disassemble it, sand it, and repaint it. It's not just a spot or two. I've brought this up in yoder forums and have been attacked as if it was my fault, or told by a hundred people that theirs didn't rust. I don't care, mine did.

It's not my fault, I paid a ton of money and bought accessories too, have taken great care of it - it looks like crap and while my little gazebo isn't worth much money to many people it's all I have and i am proud of it. I hate taking the cover off when people are visiting. At some point I'm going to have saved my pennies and I'll sell it and buy a Pitts and spitts.

On a sunny day when my legs are up to it I will roll it into the sun and take some pics. Others of course will have their view but I'll never buy another Yoder anything.

This was my experience too. The cooker cooked fine, but the rust is unbelievable for a cooker that costs that much. I had a ys640 with a custom red comp cart. Great looking smoker until the rust sets in. I also couldn't figure out how they thought it was OK for the counter weight to hit the cooking chamber when you opened the lid. This caused a big mark in the paint where it hit the cooking chamber. I bought the little bumper things, but they left marks in the paint as well. It also scorched any meat that you cooked on the main cooking grates. You basically had to cook on the top grate that was much smaller than the bottom one.

I don't miss that smoker.

Kaptain Kadian and Smokedand Baked, I am sure glad that I read what you guys had to say. It's not the first time I have heard it either. That is a lot of money to have something so glaringly wrong to put up with. If it was not for that, I would consider getting one but they lost me as a customer and I will gladly spread the word.

Cookshack FEC100 doesn’t have the wifi gadgetry but hard to beat. Heavy, stainless, insulated. I’ve coveted a Yoder but the eventual tear apart and repaint doesn’t appeal to me.

I like the FEC100 the best. Plain and simple and I can use WiFi units that I already have if I want to monitor it. I don't think there would be much of a need for me to control it remotely. Everything I have read about it on this and other forums has been nothing but positive.

But I have a question for those who have had one. Is an additional vent pipe required, or can it be used as is? They are pretty vague about that.

Back