I just sold my Ole Hickory Pits - now what to buy?

KentuckyLandSales

Knows what a fatty is.
I just sold my EL/EDX and CTO and catering trailer so I could stop the massive volunteering. But now I am without a smoker.

I was looking at a cook shack sm160 - but over never known anyone to have one. How would it compare?

Or better question - what do I buy next? Up to about 6 or 8k Least amount of work the better (aka no stick burners).

I love the moisture the OHPs keep in. So no pellets - that’s just constant convection and constant smoke - laying bitter on the entire cook.

I’m open to other ideas for sure.

Thank you in advance. Brad

I can't help you with the cooker search but wanted to say I really enjoy your Land Sale videos! I catch them now and again. Beautiful land in your area!

If you like the taste maybe stick with charcoal and get an Insulated vertical smoker with a controller for ease of use?

Or better question - what do I buy next? Up to about 6 or 8k Least amount of work the better (aka no stick burners).

I love the moisture the OHPs keep in. So no pellets - that’s just constant convection and constant smoke - laying bitter on the entire cook.

I had a Cookshack SM020, the smaller residential version of the SM160. The Cookshack electrics keep in a LOT of moisture, almost impossible to make jerky in them. They were originally made 60 some odd years ago as brisket cookers.

I currently have an FEC100, pellet smoker, I get juicy meat, never bitter.

8G8492ch.jpg

Assassin Gravity! The GF24 or GF17 are about the right size to get out of volunteering, but enough space if you decide you need a large cook. It's beast.

I've had the coockshack sm-105 after growing up on stock burner. smoke is smouldering and takes a little practice to get right. sort of like the difference between steeping tea bags vs instant. when you get it exactly right it's great, but misses turn out really bad. another example would be cooking with oak vs mesquite. oak is more forgiving, ie the sm-105 is less forgiving.

$6-8k gives you the freedom to look at some great options! Not sure where you get the idea that pellet smokers produce bitter and dry food. I’d say it’s the exact opposite. That being said, if ease is a huge concern, I’d say it’s electric or pellet. I personally love pellet smoked food. Haven’t had electric, but have been tempted on more than one occasion to add one to my arsenal. Look forward to seeing what you decide to go with :)

Should have kept the CTO IMHO. with that said, I recommend a gravity feed with temp controller. I have a Stumps Stretch that I like. My buddy has a SouthernQ that he likes really well. Deep South in another one I would consider.

Assassin has an attractive price for the space, but I haven't had any experience with them, but might be worth looking into.

Good luck,

Robert

It sounds like you're downsizing, how many people do you want to be able to cook for? The SM160 is still pretty darn big (120lb load capacity). There are smaller Cookshack sizes...

I have the smallest Cookshack (SM008?, the old, even smaller version of the SM025). I also have the stand for it which I recommend as you don't have to bend over to load/unload and the stand has a ton of storage for the wood pieces and supplies so the overall footprint is really small. On this really small cooker, I can easily fit two briskets OR four butts OR three racks of ribs (more if I bought the rib rack). I think it puts out awesome Q with almost no effort. And, as mentioned, it's a very moist cooking environment.

Another nice thing about the Cookshack; you only need ~3oz of wood for a cook so, there's no bags of pellets or charcoal to take up storage space. A $8 box of hickory wood chunks from Walmart will last you a long time. Toss in a chunk or two of wood, set the temp, load the meat and come back when it's done. Clean-up is minimal (the burnt ashes of the two small wood chunks and the drip tray).

I also have a FEC-100 (pellet) and a huge Klose BYC (stick) and cook often on each of them, depending on how much work/time I'm interested in putting into a smoke that particular day. The Cookshack SM008 is the easiest, followed by the FEC-100. You already know how involved stick burner are.

Last edited:
Back