Best Pellet Smoker Regardless Of $

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I would like opinions on what pellet smokers put the best smoke on meat first and foremost. That is my top priority. Ease of cleaning is another concern but I think most of them are a pain.

I did this same sort of search about 6 years ago but I was limited on funds. Now I have liquidated some toys and equipment and could spend quite a bit more (if needed). I ended up with a MAC 1 star back then, which I like mainly because it does put a good deal of smoke on the meat. I would like to see if any units out there that may have improvements and benefits that you guys may have experienced. I would just like to have the best and most convenient smoker and I know there are diminishing returns on almost everything. But I am willing to pay for true quality.

BTW, this is just for home use, not for catering or large gatherings.

Thanks and it may be a bit early but Merry Christmas

For more smoke than a MAK try models where you can directly add wood chunks. I believe only Camp Chef and Pitts and Spitts offer that.

I have always heard great things about MAK, I have never owned nor seen one in person. I have a Smokin Brothers. It is my second pellet grill and puts out way more smoke than my first. It's no stick burner, but does a good enough job when needed. I really like that the pellet hopper doubles as a front shelf, super handy!

Not that I'm in the market but if I did buy a pellet smoker I'd want the best and be willing to spend accordingly. Will be following this thread closely. The offerings from LSG sure look tempting.

Not that I'm in the market but if I did buy a pellet smoker I'd want the best and be willing to spend accordingly. Will be following this thread closely. The offerings from LSG sure look tempting.

I can sure see why the LSG is tempting. Thanks for the heads up.

Any of the Cookshack Fast Eddy smokers. I have the FEC100, no complaints. And it's insulated, so low pellet burn during cold days.

I have a MAK 2* and a LSG 42". Both give good smoke but the LSG is bigger, less expensive, much easier to clean, and the Fireboard controller and app is SO much better than the MAK electronics.

I have a Yoder YS640 cart and it has never ever ever failed me. Tried and true. Decent smoke flavor imho. LSG looks tempting and MAK is another winner.

Never had or used one but how about Yoder

I had one and sold it. I really wasn't impressed with it. The rust drove me crazy too. The trap door grilling thing was not that good either.

I know I am in the minority, but I much prefer the weber smokefire over the Yoder. Not having the drip tray is a big benefit for me. I think it sucks on grilling, but it really does a good job smoking stuff. I have a Gen 2 that I assembled and I have never had a problem with it. I barely clean it and it starts up and runs every time. I think 95% of the problems you here about it are user error. I might be the only person in history to sell a Yoder ys640 and buy a smokefire, but I don't regret it at all.

I have a MAK 2* and a LSG 42". Both give good smoke but the LSG is bigger, less expensive, much easier to clean, and the Fireboard controller and app is SO much better than the MAK electronics.

I was going to comment on the web control. It has been a PITA!

Funny thing about it though. One day I had a pork butt in the MAC and had the app running on my phone. While it was cooking, I was on my tractor bushogging a field, and the bouncing in the seat with the phone in my back pocket turned the temp up to 430 degrees. I stopped to check it about 90 minutes late and ran back to assess the damage, lol. Not good!!!

Thanks for the info on the LSG

I would take a hard look at cook shack. USA made, quality stainless, good capacity annd awesome customer service. I have owned an FEC 100, FEC 120, FEC 500 and the FEC 240. All put out a great product, but in my opinion the FEC 240 turns out the best product.

We won our first grand championship with a FEC 100 and we had the 500 and the 240 in the restaurant.

FWIW... I'm a Yoder person, and I love it. But, some of the suggestions in this post are reminders that you have some serious options out there if you want the BEST. I wouldn't say Yoder is the best at this point. No letdowns, but when you have other companies putting thoughts into adding wood chips w/pellets, adding wood chunks in a drawer, and pellet dump levers, it does make you want to take a peek. I'm not saying I would dump Yoder, but if I was in your position, I would put Yoder in 3rd and try to find the 1st or 2nd best. Hey, maybe you won't find it, but it's worth searching for! Good luck.

As those trips around the sun talley upward, something to ponder

It's the cook, not the cooker
It's the Indian, not the arrow

I'm a firm believer that while on earth you should live a quality life. I also firmly believe that there are people on this planet that if you placed them in the best kitchen in the world, they couldn't make a bowl of Cheerios.

But back to your request. If money no object, ease of cleaning, readily accessible searing.
Simple man

If there is unlimited loot ..... buy a few of them and test them all out ..... keep what you like and sell the rest .... but you just might keep them all .... and I personally don't care about searing or cooking on it like a grill .... strictly a smoker. .... have a kettle if I need it ..... good luck and keep us in the loop ....

If there is unlimited loot ..... buy a few of them and test them all out ..... keep what you like and sell the rest .... but you just might keep them all .... and I personally don't care about searing or cooking on it like a grill .... strictly a smoker. .... have a kettle if I need it ..... good luck and keep us in the loop ....

I don't care about searing either. But what I found by searching through some of the suggestions is that some of the better smokers don't have things that do care about. I do want Wi-Fi and the option of Bluetooth is nice. I also like to cook on one shelf with a foil pan below to catch most of what would make a mess otherwise, making it more time-consuming and a PITA to clean. On my MAC there was an option for a full-sized upper shelf which makes it easy to catch drippings below. It is still a bit of a pain to clean though.

So far I like the FEC100 but no Wi-Fi. The same thing for the PG1000 and it also has a small upper grate. I do like the LSG's and Yoder competition models but will continue searching. Keep the suggestions coming though, and thank you all

Back