We don't do gas---Korean Style BBQ Over Charcoal

Holey Kimchee, Neighbor!! I'm not sure what I'd hit first. It all looks super Sako!! :becky:

Lookin Good Neighbor!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

If I show this to MSD we'll be at the Korean store today!

Wow, that was awesome. But holy cow, $28/lb or whatever for boneless short ribs ? I'd go broke having to pay that much for Kalbi. Do you happen to have a meat slicer or a sharp knife and a very steady hand??? :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Wow, that was awesome. But holy cow, $28/lb or whatever for boneless short ribs ? I'd go broke having to pay that much for Kalbi. Do you happen to have a meat slicer or a sharp knife and a very steady hand??? :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Thanks!

I actually have a nice Berkel but considering time, variety, the right cuts, waste, clean up etc it'll cost even more. Good thing about kalbi is 1/2 lb from this 1/4lb from that.... goes a long way. At least that's my way of looking at it. :noidea:

Thanks!

I actually have a nice Berkel but considering time, variety, the right cuts, waste, clean up etc it'll cost even more. Good thing about kalbi is 1/2 lb from this 1/4lb from that.... goes a long way. At least that's my way of looking at it. :noidea:

Yeah, the variety was killer and the pricing on all the other cuts was very good. I'd have snapped them up with no problem. But, being frugal guy that I am, I would have swung by Kroger and picked up bone in short ribs for $4.99 per pound then debone and slice myself.

As to going a long way, I guess we differ there more than a little bit :mrgreen:. One of my friends is Korean and when he and I get together and have some Bulgogi or Kalbi, we'll cook up 6 cups of rice and about 4 to 5lbs of meat for the 2 of us. There's rarely any left over. I've tried to figure it out but I can't. At my age, I have trouble finishing off a 16oz ribeye, but man, I can put some serious amounts of kalbi or bulgogi away. :mrgreen:

Anyways, didn't mean to derail/sidetrack the thread. Was an awesome cook and now has me planning a trip to the store.

Yeah, the variety was killer and the pricing on all the other cuts was very good. I'd have snapped them up with no problem. But, being frugal guy that I am, I would have swung by Kroger and picked up bone in short ribs for $4.99 per pound then debone and slice myself.

As to going a long way, I guess we differ there more than a little bit :mrgreen:. One of my friends is Korean and when he and I get together and have some Bulgogi or Kalbi, we'll cook up 6 cups of rice and about 4 to 5lbs of meat for the 2 of us. There's rarely any left over. I've tried to figure it out but I can't. At my age, I have trouble finishing off a 16oz ribeye, but man, I can put some serious amounts of kalbi or bulgogi away. :mrgreen:

Anyways, didn't mean to derail/sidetrack the thread. Was an awesome cook and now has me planning a trip to the store.

Not derailed at all. :thumb: I've actually done it a couple times where I bought a nice piece of wagyu or belly and sliced them myself so I totally understand where you're coming from. I guess I just got lazy and wanted something quick. :becky:

Lol, I can see where you can kill a few lbs of meat when it's sliced thin. That's actually what we were talking about this last time. Def easier than just one 16oz steak. :thumb: For some people it has a reverse effect and they're done after a few slices of kalbi. Go figure.

My wife and I will be arriving at your house next Wednesday. Only for a week. Just need one bedroom with TV in it. Please have both the grill and the smoker ready for you to cook on. I will send you the menu we want you to cook for our week long visit by Monday.

:p

That's funny, my wife and are arriving the following week. Perhaps we'll meet in passing! Great looking food as always Sako!

That market is a 5 min walk from my parents' place.

Nice cook. They also sell some pretty grill pans for table top cooking. Cheap and awesome. More suited for those gas burners but could fit it on a WGA.

With the right pan, we will do our meats then do a big fried rice right in the same pan with chopped up kimchi, butter, chopped up beef scrap and Korean red pepper paste. Crack an egg over it and mix. Top it with sesame oil, green onion and some sesame seeds.

Pair it with Hite beer. Not the best beer but great with Korean food.

That market is a 5 min walk from my parents' place.

Nice cook. They also sell some pretty grill pans for table top cooking. Cheap and awesome. More suited for those gas burners but could fit it on a WGA.

With the right pan, we will do our meats then do a big fried rice right in the same pan with chopped up kimchi, butter, chopped up beef scrap and Korean red pepper paste. Crack an egg over it and mix. Top it with sesame oil, green onion and some sesame seeds.

Pair it with Hite beer. Not the best beer but great with Korean food.

Thanks!

I'll check it out next time I'm there for sure. They have anything and everything there. BTW I like Hite. and Kloud. Though needless to say anytime I see Sapporo and Asahi I go for those as you can see.

My Korean BBQ intake is pitiful, especially in light of how readily available it is and how good it is. I love that stuff and need to eat lots more of it. Closest I get on a regular basis is Kogi for the most part, which I know is just Korean BBQ inspired.

Anyway - this all looks fanfarkingtastic and I love how you take full advantage of the of all that SoCal has to offer food-wise - that's really cool and from what I see you do it very, very well. :thumb:

My Korean BBQ intake is pitiful, especially in light of how readily available it is and how good it is. I love that stuff and need to eat lots more of it. Closest I get on a regular basis is Kogi for the most part, which I know is just Korean BBQ inspired.

Anyway - this all looks fanfarkingtastic and I love how you take full advantage of the of all that SoCal has to offer food-wise - that's really cool and from what I see you do it very, very well. :thumb:

Thanks buddy! I consider myself, or ourselves, blessed because of where we live and honestly how can you not take advantage of all that's available to you in such close proximity.

I must admit though I'm jealous of the fact your backyard (Culver City and surrounding) has some of the best restaurants SoCal has to offer. :thumb: One of my absolute amazing Oaxacan restaurant is on Washington called EK Valley. I think I've had some of the best Mexican food there. :hungry:

PS

Speaking of Korean BBQ a co-worker who's Korean is recommending Park's BBQ in K-Town. Says it's amazing and I've yet to make it there. I thought I'd pass that along. Been to a few there but not Parks.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Dude, you had me completely there, until the plating. I expected to see a lettuce leaf with some rice, some beans paste, some sliced raw garlic, some sliced raw jalapeno, all rolled into a ball that you can barely fit into your mouth. Eating the Kimchi in between bites... So disappointed. Ok, not really, but that's how we eat it.

BTW, SpringRam and I are carpooling. Might need more supplies...

Yair . . .

Not one comment on grilled brisket? I do it but I have never seen it before is it a Korean thing?

Cheers.

Thanks buddy! I consider myself, or ourselves, blessed because of where we live and honestly how can you not take advantage of all that's available to you in such close proximity.

I must admit though I'm jealous of the fact your backyard (Culver City and surrounding) has some of the best restaurants SoCal has to offer. :thumb: One of my absolute amazing Oaxacan restaurant is on Washington called EK Valley. I think I've had some of the best Mexican food there. :hungry:

PS

Speaking of Korean BBQ a co-worker who's Korean is recommending Park's BBQ in K-Town. Says it's amazing and I've yet to make it there. I thought I'd pass that along. Been to a few there but not Parks.

Dude! Ek Valley! Love that place! Not far from my house. I'll check out Park's - thanks for the tip! Right now my true love in K-town is Gus' Fied Chicken on Pico & Crenshaw. It's a chain out of Memphis TN & the best restaurant fried chix I've had. They have great Southern sides as well - fried green tomatoes, fried okra, etc.

Back