Traditional Korean BBQ Wang Kalbi

Lol...and thanks, Sako! Truth be told, I'm that guy too. No matter what the protein...chicken, pork, beef, fish...I always have the cleanest bones at the table! One of my favorite "drinking foods" is a dish I found at a ramen place that is simply called "deep fried chicken knee cartilage". Needless to say, I usually get the whole pile of chicken knees to myself. :biggrin1:

Hot damn! That sounds delicious. Love ramen also btw.

hai... ur beef looks nicely marbled. what store/butcher did you get it from? ranch 99 and safeway arent as marbled as that. im in the bay, please let me know.

hai... ur beef looks nicely marbled. what store/butcher did you get it from? ranch 99 and safeway arent as marbled as that. im in the bay, please let me know.

Thank you! Beef shortrib is usually a pretty marbled cut to begin with, IMHO. I got mine at Ranch 99 Market just as you surmised! Tho honestly, the ones at Safeway look better to me.

It may just be the way I have ribbon cut the meat from the bone that makes it look more marbled. Only one way to find out...try it! My kids are already asking me to make more..

That looks astounding-- seriously mouthwatering!

Thank you, SK!

Here's the before and after of a KBBQ-inspired grilled salad that my kids and I devoured. This is what they are asking me to do again...

This is the grilled salad with just the grill veggie component:
Parmesan-crusted romaine, plancha-seared cherry tomatoes, fire-grilled red onion

w6iUvx7h.jpg

And with the addition of pickled onions and cucumbers and the kalbi beef shortrib and fried garlic:

cJcxY1lh.jpg

A great meal with an easy cleanup!

q7X2b0nh.jpg

The Korean BBQ restaurants here call that "Big Bone Kalbi". That cook looks awesome! Do you know if there's a tutorial online on how to ribbon cut the short rib? JLOL just googled it and a few video tutorials it doesn't look too difficult to do. Must try!

Last edited:
The Korean BBQ restaurants here call that "Big Bone Kalbi". That cook looks awesome! Do you know if there's a tutorial online on how to ribbon cut the short rib? JLOL just googled it and a few video tutorials it doesn't look too difficult to do. Must try!

Yep, I was gonna give you this link:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wang+kalbi

It's fun and not all that difficult...the cooked results are great I think since the grain of the shortrib meat is cut into small sections...nice and tender and flavorful.

Amazing post, words can't describe the way my taste buds are reacting to what my eyes are seeing.

Back