THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

larry4406

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Larry
All my prior chicken wings have been done in a rotisserie tumble basket on a gas grill. Fill basket with 40-42 wings, start the spin, as the ice crystals start to melt I season the wings thru the mesh of the spinning basket. Excellent result, PIA to clean basket.

Fast forward, I have a Weber Performer with GBS grate and Vortex which I understand is an excellent setup for wings.

So - Can I just place my frozen wings direct from the freezer bag onto the grate indirect and season in place? 45 minutes or so running Kingsford Blue (center grate removed), and spinning vent every 10-15 minutes?

Cooking wings this weekend so if this is a no-no, then I need to know ASAP to start the thaw.

On serving, will add wing sauce or sauce of choice.

Personally, I'd just thaw them first, Larry.
I'd be concerned of burning the skin before the centers thawed.
Thanks Terry.

I might just grab a large bowl, line with paper towels then throw 40 of them in it and put in fridge and rest back in freezer.

The rotisserie basket method frozen on the gasser worked nice. Maybe the tumble action helped for more even cook.

if you have a sous vide, you can defrost meat in a matter of minutes. I tend to do this when I'm up against the clock.

I took @BuffettFan 's advice and pulled 40 of them out this morning. Now sitting on towels in a bowl in the beer fridge. Tomorrow's problem.

My tumble basket would hold around 40 and we rarely had leftovers. I also read somewhere that someone was able to arrange around 45 on a Weber Performer with the GBS grate and Vortex.

Flying blind with full confidence in direction, and lost but making great time.

I took @BuffettFan 's advice and pulled 40 of them out this morning. Now sitting on towels in a bowl in the beer fridge. Tomorrow's problem.

My tumble basket would hold around 40 and we rarely had leftovers. I also read somewhere that someone was able to arrange around 45 on a Weber Performer with the GBS grate and Vortex.

Flying blind with full confidence in direction, and lost but making great time.

Let us know how it turns out, Larry.

Better yet. Put them in a bowl with salt and water thaw and marinate at the same time.
Might try that next time. But too late now.

I spread them out on a rack this morning. Dusted both sides with Lawry’s. Now festering (resting) in the fridge. Will likely fester 5-6 hours before cook.

Will use Kingsford Blue.

Both vents wide open? Or reduce to __F?

Skin side up for 30 minutes then flip?

Pull when temp’d around 170F?

- lost but making great time.

Larry, here's a pic of my Vortex setup. The kettle runs full throttle with Kingsford Blue.. I cook the flats about 15 minutes per side, and the drumettes about 17 a side. I don't know if this is similar to your rig.

I9c66ICh.jpg

Last edited:
Larry, here's a pic of my Vortex setup. The kettle runs full throttle with Kingsford Blue.. I cook the flats about 15 minutes per side, and the drumettes about 17 a side. I don't know if this is similar to your rig.

I9c66ICh.jpg
Yes! Identical. Weber Performer with GBS center grate and Vortex.

Thanks!

@buffetfan suggested starting with skin side down first. 3.5 hours till on the grill time.

Hoping to nail this one!

Sorry for the delayed response folks!

Chicken wings came out very good! These were rather large frozen ones from BJ's.

The vortex cook was odd, nothing like I have read about or watched on Youtube.

Dome temp was 500/550F. I started skin side down, flipped at around 20 minutes. Skin was very rubbery. Skin still rubbery at 55 minutes. Maybe the grill was too crowded and air flow was restricted.:unsure:

Vortex center was way to hot to brown the skin (instant char). Finished them off on the gasser.

We tried the Bachan's Original Japanese BBQ sauce as a dipping sauce and its a major new favorite (wish they had a low sodium version).
IMG_5423.JPGIMG_5426.JPGIMG_5428.JPG

Sorry to hear the skin didn't crisp up.
I think you're right, too crowded.
Those are some jumbo wings!

Looks a little crowded, Larry. The end result looks great! (y)
Trust me, they ate quite well and the 4 of us were like “all we get is 10”?

Next time I might sacrifice the insert to gain some real estate. Supposedly the insert doesn’t like the Vortex heat. I had to fish a couple that fell in. Thinking of buying the Craycort cast iron insert.

The Bachan Original Japanese BBQ sauce is the BOMB! Yeah a bit salty but OMG good!

Next batch might just forgo the Lawry’s and marinade in Bachan with some extra ginger.

Vortex wings are great. With the high heat though even with it being an indirect cook if you aren't careful the sugary rubs will char.
I would have definitely killed some of those wings!

Back