• Carpe Diem Vortex Wings – Homage to Oakridge BBQ

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Every time I pull out some of my dwindling Oakridge stash, I’m reminded that it will be gone one day, and sooner than I would like. And I will miss these delicious, artisan rubs when they’re all gone, but life is short, so it’s good to life fully and richly, enjoying each moment.

First, I set up a 3 stage seasoning station, with wings that had been lightly slathered in mayo, a small pan to individually season each wing with Oakridge Secret Weapon, and the Styrofoam tray the wings came packed in.

Dj5wLYN.jpg

Wings all seasoned up:

7pnIxCW.jpg

Vortex filled with B&B hickory lump:

c6BS29T.jpg

Wings ready to start cooking, with a small piece of oak over the vortex:

fnc1CyA.jpg

Kettle chugging away:

ovH1nHl.jpg

About 20 mins in, after turning the wings:

JztrT1G.jpg

And finally, wings hot off the grill and ready for a brief rest:

Q0FPw1O.jpg

The wings were delicious as usual, and there were lots of crispy, slightly charred bits on them that added to the texture and flavor experience. The Missus ate ¼ of them, and I ate the rest. :mrgreen:

Thanks fer lookin’, and hope you seize the day!

Last edited:
If the wings looked like that there would be no rest at my house Richard.

Last edited:
Killer stuff! Never enough wings.

On another note funny that I coat and season my wings exactly the same way down to the styrofoam. :becky: Even funnier thing is wings are the only exception. :p

Killer stuff! Never enough wings.

On another note funny that I coat and season my wings exactly the same way down to the styrofoam. :becky: Even funnier thing is wings are the only exception. :p

Well...this wouldn't be the first time you and I did something the same way, would it?

:laugh:

About 1/2 Left Richard:

P-20230808-185917.jpg

I'll have to follow this method although I don't have a Vortex.

I was fortunate enough to win a Throwdown while Mike was still a sponsor. The generosity of the prize encouraged me to ask ChicagoKP (Kirk) to ship it to me. I paid the freight and he got a spice of his choice for his help. Turned out to be fortuitous for us all as Mike soon announced he was closing the doors.

I most certainly have the biggest stash of this stuff in my country. Maybe the only stash.

Back