Chicken Thighs on the Weber Kettle

Thanks.

Dry brine technique is a heavy application of Kosher Salt on the skin, then left uncovered in the fridge to air dry for a few hours or overnight even. The skin dries out which helps with crispiness on the grill.

That's the product.

Those grates are from Craycort. I've had them for years.

-Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog
What do you dip the chicken in? Egg wash, buttermilk?

For this cook I didn't dip the chicken in anything, the Lefty's/corn starch mix just adhered to the chicken. I hadn't dried it as thoroughly as I'd thought so the residual moisture was just enough. Normally, when I'm not being lazy, I'll use an egg wash. Buttermilk would also be a good option.

I want to try this! I just ordered the Lefty's.

What was your ratio of corn starch to Lefty's?

My pellet pooper will go to 700F so Recteq says. When you did yours indirect on your Weber, any ideal what temp your dome was?

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog
What do you dip the chicken in? Egg wash, buttermilk?

For this cook I didn't dip the chicken in anything, the Lefty's/corn starch mix just adhered to the chicken. I hadn't dried it as thoroughly as I'd thought so the residual moisture was just enough. Normally, when I'm not being lazy, I'll use an egg wash. Buttermilk would also be a good option.

I want to try this! I just ordered the Lefty's.

What was your ratio of corn starch to Lefty's?

My pellet pooper will go to 700F so Recteq says. When you did yours indirect on your Weber, any ideal what temp your dome was?

As a guesstimate to the ratio, I'd say 1/2 - 3/4 cup Lefty's to about 3 tablespoons of corn starch. I dumped enough Lefty's into a bowl, followed by a few tbsps of corn starch.

I do use an oven thermometer in the air vents of the Weber. I think the reading was around 650F which is great for chicken thighs as they can take those temps easily.

-Dom

The last couple pics of those thighs are indistinguishable from real fried chicken, Dom. Stellar work!

We used Lefty's with great results for many years, but noticed a change in their product when the pandemania was in full swing. It almost seemed like the formula was diluted and just didn't have the flavor it used to. Many reviewers on Amazon noticed the same thing during that time period and we stopped buying it. I wonder if it is back to its old fine self now?

The last couple pics of those thighs are indistinguishable from real fried chicken, Dom. Stellar work!

We used Lefty's with great results for many years, but noticed a change in their product when the pandemania was in full swing. It almost seemed like the formula was diluted and just didn't have the flavor it used to. Many reviewers on Amazon noticed the same thing during that time period and we stopped buying it. I wonder if it is back to its old fine self now?

I thought the flavor was less intense also Richard, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. I don't recall when I purchased these, probably within the last year.

That is an amazing looking meal, perfect for cooler weather. I'm all over chicken thighs, anytime, anyplace.

I rebuilt a Weber with/mounted on a cart for my brother in Arizona and surprised him with it. He used to bbq a lot but hasn’t had a grill for a couple decades. He only does chicken thighs now. Only chicken thighs. He loves them grilled.

Back