Hot Wings Kicked Up a Notch: Hot Honey Chili Oil Vortex Wings

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
When considering what I might enter for the “Chicken Wings” Throwdown, I decided it was time to try something different other than what I might have entered in the past. Then magically, as if someone were reading my mind, a YouTube short from Derek Wolf from Over The Fire Cooking appeared that really caught my eye – honey chili oil wings:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CCJB7aQejTw

After reviewing the recipe, I decided to make some changes, some because we didn’t have two ingredients on hand, and I decided not to fry the wings as I wanted to vortex to do all the work.

https://overthefirecooking.com/honey-chili-oil-chicken-wings/

While we have homemade hot chili oil, we did not have Gochukaru flakes, so I subbed Sichuan chili flakes. I also subbed hot Kashmiri chili powder for the cayenne, and I subbed mayo for mustard as the rub binder due to the fat in mayo as a fat rendering agent. Finally, we had no regular honey, but we DID have HOT honey!

So here’s all the players:

4Kv8bKI.jpg

The rub all mixed up:

uBDQ2ZG.jpg

I did a finger test on the rub, and it was VERY tasty, and spicy! Now I was starting to get excited, though I was a little nervous with all the heat going on – Sichuan chili flakes, Sichuan hot chili oil, Hot Kashmiri chili powder, AND hot honey.

Wings coated with mayo and rub:

nLjksZP.jpg

And onto the kettle, with a piece of oak for smoke:

TEBMPsV.jpg

About halfway there:

zqhlZ2e.jpg

While the wings were cooking, The Missus mixed up the glaze of hot chili oil, hot honey, garlic, and sesame seeds:

TOKo78L.jpg

Wings right before I pulled them off:

agGqXCY.jpg

While the wings rested a bit, I pulled a small little drumstick out to taste it with just the rub, and it was not only delicious, but quite spicy. At this point there was no turning back and the only thing left was to toss the wings in the incendiary glaze.

Here they are, plated, with some sliced scallions:

RBgms1Y.jpg

The wings were delicious - The Missus got a case of the hiccups and I broke a solid sweat, but it was worth it!

Thanks fer looking...

OK. You win with some great looking wings :thumb:

I haven't had any that hot for a while. They had to be fantastic.

I really like the looks of those little nuggets of spicy goodness! I definitely wish actual tasting was part of the voting criteria.

Those look awesome. I usually skip putting honey or syrup or sugar on in the vortex until the end for fear it will burn too much. Is that not an issue? Yours look perfect.

Those look awesome. I usually skip putting honey or syrup or sugar on in the vortex until the end for fear it will burn too much. Is that not an issue? Yours look perfect.

The honey-chili oil mixture was part of a finishing glaze the wings were tossed in after they were cooked. In reading through my post, I see I really didn't make that as clear as I could have!

Really looks good and spicy. I was thinking about trying the kettle fried chicken (something I have yet had no success in my attempts) again and using a honey garlic glaze as a finishing sauce. I have some wings in the freezer and honey. Maybe soon.

Thanks,

Robert

Back