Can you really make blackened wings with a Vortex?

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
In the name of research, and the "Chicken Wing" throwdown, we're gonna find out.

We'll start out by brining the wings in a mix of Mad Hunky Nekid Brine (mixed with water) and some Zatarain's Crab Boil. On wings? Yep. Crab boil.

While the bird parts swam for some hours, I mixed up some low-fat buttermilk blue cheese dressing for the spicy wings.

Which I left a little bit chunky because that's how I like it.

The brined wings get dried, dusted with a blackened seasoning that I mixed up and rested in the fridge for an hour or so.

Then they gather round the Vortex for a nice long roasting. I dialed back the lid temp to around 475 for this cook.

While the wings cook, I made up my Chipotle wing sauce.
I used 3/4 cup of white vinegar and two heaping tablespoons of chipotle powder in a sauté pan. Bring the mix up to a simmer and remove from the heat for a while.

Then screen the pepper pulp from the mix and you have a very smokey, somewhat spicy vinegar to use as your hot sauce. I added a bit of S&P but that's all.

Now I reheat the vinegar to simmer and turn off the heat.
Then I stir in cold butter, one Tablespoon at a time till it won't melt any more butter. That's it. The best wing sauce I've ever had.

Around 50 minutes, the wings are looking good.

OK. They aren't blackened like a catfish in a pan. I know. But they look good from where I'm at.

To finish, I tossed some on a plate with the BC dressing and the wing sauce on the side, ready to squirt as much or as little as each wing called for.

And that, my friends, is blackened wings. Southern style. :thumb:

Thanks for checking it out.

Back