South of the Border Juicy Lucy!

Dang Bob, we always stop at South of the Border on our way through South Carolina, but never saw such juicy lucy's on the menu. :noidea:

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzc4MzMwMTBiZDdlYzMzZTJhYl9TT0I1LmpwZyJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwieDM5MD4iXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d

:noidea:

u7NpW4s1TEa2RJiLXhYr_dRpaOGBl6WT5AOwoLS1oVhtyEAL5uDeZa3BS2WWhgmnMCn7X3xckEAIMjthZQFFqQ56_anVrnvkjf6mp5IjdRwSXTnd7X6Xu6mz8R238mE

In fact, I'd have to say your post is at least 10 notches up from the food at the authentic South of the Border; however, that doesn't mean that the food is an accurate representation of what you might get there. I would suggest that next time, if you want to try to try to pass your food off as something you would get South of the Border, you should at least post a picture of someone riding a jackalope, so it isn't immediately obvious you're not a pretender.

jackelope.jpg

Sonoran hot dogs are the bomb! Seriously good.

El Guero Canelo and BK's in Tucson are good options for something more authentic than you will get at the trendy places.

Great stuff, Bob, and it's fantastic to see you posting! :whoo: Loving all that. I'm with Titch - how bout a tater salad recipe? :hungry:
Good to see all is well at Casa de BobBrisket! :clap2:

Bob
My wife was drooling over your potatoes salad, would you by ave a link to a recipe please

Titch and Greg, I don't have a recipe written down, but this is pretty much how I always do it.

Taters-standard russets, but I do like Yukon golds too. Large chunks so they hold up and don't break down so much. I like them with a lil bit of texture to em.

Eggs and yolks. Had about 8 in that batch.

Finely chopped celery, black olives, and pickles. Celery seed. These are optional based on your crowd: onion, fresh or pickled jalapeno. I tossed in one seeded and very finely chopped 'peno.

Pickle juice. Just to thin it out a bit.

Lastly, the most important parts and ratios. French's mustard is my go to. (Hint: The best damn mustard around, well, 2 best around......the cheap, thick mustard you get in the lil packets, but you will need lots of packets and the mustard from Whataburger. LOL!! Those of you that know WB, know what I mean.) I will use 2 parts mustard to 1 part mayo. Mayo can be any. We use Kraft or Best Foods. You can use the lime flavored types too. If you can find Mexican brand mayos, those are really good, but I find them sweeter.

I go with a healthy squeeze of mayo and twice that of mustard. Mix, taste and adjust. At this point, I will taste for salt and pepper is a must. I think Kosher salt stands out better. Fresh cracked pepper is good too but not a must. Pickle juice just to thin it out a little.

Growing up, my grandmother made the best damn salad. That's where I based my recipe. She would also add green olives, and her's had a good bit of fresh or pickled 'penos. I hold back on those so my wife and kids will enjoy it.

NOW......best way to eat it the next day is nice and cold, in a bowl, with several good squirts of Louisiana, Trappey's, or Tabasco hot sauce. I make it just to eat it like that the following days until gone!! LoL.

That's pretty much it. I also enjoy a warm, German salad too. Plenty of recipes out there. You could add tomato, chopped garlic, but I stick with my simple standard recipe.

Enjoy!

Bob

Last edited:
Gore-That place looks like fun!!

Sid-Funny you bring up AZ!! There are some really good places in AZ that make a really good Sonoran.

Bob

So you turn a grill into a flower pot, then run outta grill space.

That's odd.

Looking Good Rex!

Well, that was a lefty from a old UDS project. With 3-22's and 2-18's......I have enough grill space, but not enough yard space. LOL.:laugh:

BrisketRex

a la Adams - "Amen!"

Good to see you putting in some hours to post photos of ridiculous(ly good) food on the Interwebs for us. :roll:

Keep 'em coming, brother. Looks like you're still in good form down there.

Now, I've got to go investigate this Sonoran hotdog thing... can be found locally in ABQ in the right place.

Additionally, thanks to Gore for the reminders of all the crazy billboards for Pedro's South of the Border along I-95. This old Tarheel hasn't been on that route in a LONG time.

a la Adams - "Amen!"

Good to see you putting in some hours to post photos of ridiculous(ly good) food on the Interwebs for us. :roll:

Keep 'em coming, brother. Looks like you're still in good form down there.

Now, I've got to go investigate this Sonoran hotdog thing... can be found locally in ABQ in the right place.

Additionally, thanks to Gore for the reminders of all the crazy billboards for Pedro's South of the Border along I-95. This old Tarheel hasn't been on that route in a LONG time.

Thanks, Marc. Don't know if they have a Sonoran dog, but the Dog House Drive In is a must stop for us when we go to Abq. Also, we will drive to Abq JUST to eat at Pappadeaux!! Venture out to Bernalillo County. They have some really good stands etc that sell really good carne seca/jerky. There are also a couple of really nice Mexican Style Carnicerias there. Latinos Unidos Carniceria is where we bought our meat when we were staying at the KOA in Bernalillo. They are make some good grub there!!

Bob

Last edited:
Gore-That place looks like fun!!

Sid-Funny you bring up AZ!! There are some really good places in AZ that make a really good Sonoran.

Bob

I cannot resist roadside Americana and always have to stop. I'm not sure which has more road signs leading the way, South of the Border, The Thing (of which I've visited many times and I'm sure you know well), or Wall Drug. Heck, I've visited them all more than once!

Back