I’m a total failure

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Sigh.

This was planned to be for the griddle throw down, but a series of events prevented that from happening. Most notably when I went to get the black stone from the trailer I neglected to check that I had the propane regulator instead of the quick disconnect for the trailer. And I couldn’t get back to the trailer to get it before “snowpocallipse 2024” hit ( which wasn’t really all that bad but if more than two flakes come down the entire region shuts down) so I couldn’t use the black stone.

So anyway, I planned to pivot and do it in cast iron over coals in the Webber. But come Sunday when I planned on doing it the wind chill was -4f and I wimped out. Tonight I finally got around to making it, but…. Stay tuned.

On Sunday I had mixed up some buttermilk with sriracha for a spicy marinade. I soaked a couple chicken thighs and thin cut breasts in it, turning and massaging until tonight.

Tonight I crushed up a bag of franks red hot goldfish crackers and a little panko with some salt to make a breading and dipped the chicken in it straight from the buttermilk mixture. Into a pan to shallow fry they went. Things were going ok, except the damn beading wouldn’t stick, and then it started to get pretty dark before the chicken was done.

When each piece finished it went into the warmed oven on a plate lined with paper towels to stay warm while I cooked the rest.

That was a bad idea, seems like the breading absorbed a lot of oil and as they sat it turned into mush.

The plan was to make chicken sandwiches with them, toasted brioche buns, candied jalapeños, buffalo ranch, and cheese. But the way the breading turned out I said screw it all and ordered Mexican instead.

So. My idea was a total failure on many levels, but gave me some food for thought for when I try again. The bite I did try, despite the nasty breading, was really tasty.

Besides, no pics so it never really happened right?

That's a bloody funny story bro!

Complete fiction of course because "No Pics, Didn't Happen""

You should write some more of this stuff. I'm loving it!

:pound:

Live and learn, Mike.
Too much buttermilk still clinging to the bird parts kept the breading from sticking. I know that from my own failures...

Back