A Thing I learned - that stuck

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
My social security earnings began in 8th grade. Road Construction, Oilfield construction and pumper helper (that sucked), housing construction, surveyor helper. But about those construction jobs. We would carry our lunch to jobsites. Id usually have PBJ, Gatorade, water, potted ham etc. Grown men mostly Spanish/Hispanic laborers carried these well worn metal lunch boxes, round top, Stanley Thermos. Summer Jobs. Always hot, asphalt, tank battery assembly, unloading railcars of oilfield mud. Good Times.

What I learned from my Mexican/Spanish coworkers. Wear lightweight cotton long sleeve shirts and a bandana. A wide brimmed hat.
Cotton socks and eat cucumbers. Cucumbers and a salt shaker. All of them, every day. Said the combination would keep you cool and hydrated.

Thought of those times when I saw this recipe earlier. We eat a lot of cucumber salad in the summer. Wife grins when I tell her it helps you stay cool.

I still believe it helps. Here's that recipe I found earlier

Last edited:
Reminds me of a cold summer soup my mom used to make. Chłodnik, all us kids used to love it, I haven't had it in years, will have to make up a batch soon. Basically, buttermilk, sour cream, beets (fresh or canned), cucumbers, radishes, green onions, fresh dill, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice. It's BRIGHT pink, throw it in the fridge to get nice and cold. So good. Some people serve with hard boiled eggs, although mom never did.

That's a heavy "No" on cotton. Wool is king. It's come a long ways.

-D

Cotton as opposed to nylon/polyester which was becoming a thing. Jerseys, mock turtleneck etc. My career path had me in a uniform that in the beginning was majority wool. Towards end 30 years later it wasn't. You're right, correct wool nice. But in a job where'd you most likely ruin with asphalt, generator grease, cleaning oilfield tools with diesel, naptha, no telling what else. Cheap cotton shirts were a blessing. You didn't dare wash anything that mucky at home, laundromat had attendant that would determine if you could use their machines.

I use to own and live in Pendleton shirts. But they were expensive back then.

Last edited:
My mom and stepdad are coming over for dinner tonight. My mom asked what she could contribute toward tonight‘s dinner. Guess what she’s bringing…? :)

Thanks for the recipe, picked up the stuff this afternoon will make it early in the am and let the flavor meld all day.

I've always enjoyed the Pendleton short sleeve fer work, a tad overkill fer a framer by trade, but there was no rule that a knuckledragger must look the knuckledragger. They held up well if I wasn't rolling a shoulder rig...buttons held up somewhat. Everything wool did get more expensive awhile ago.
Pendleton not near as crazy priced as Filson, I literally laughed out loud at the last catalog I received. I order my wool clothing from Europe these days...except socks, Darn Tough socks cannot be beat.

-D

Back