Some Chickenfried Steak

... Seems Cornbread would be a great addition to the whole meal.

haha, really just kidding about 2.. but the first thing I thought of when I seen the post was cornbread...

Heretic! Heathen! That was breakfast she was cooking, so biscuits are the way to go. Cornbread would be at dinner time.

:biggrin1:

Thank you Jeanie for the wonderful pictures of your camping meal. Your talent at cooking and recording it with pictures is the greatest. Thanks for sharing my friend.

There is one thing wrong with this post.................................. No wait two things!

1. I wasn't there to help cook and eat it!
2. Seems Cornbread would be a great addition to the whole meal.

haha, really just kidding about 2.. but the first thing I thought of when I seen the post was cornbread.

Looks fantastic! If I get some more wood delivered I'll be cooking on open fire a bit more often before winter sets in!

lol I'll never turn down a slice of hot cornbread, slathered in butter...no matter what time of the day. Thanks Blazin!

Don't know about that. :biggrin1: I was tired tonight and it was breakfast for dinner type of deal. Some homemade bacon, taters and eggs in the CI. :noidea:
I knew it!! Sounds like heaven Sako... :cool: :mrgreen:

Outstanding looking meal! Like you mentioned- you've done that before. You made it look simple but the timing takes experience to have it turn out like that. Looks absolutely delicious!!! Great pics to boot.

Thank you Rocky! :grin:

Hankdad, Thanks!! :grin:

lol SGH, Thanks Friend! :mrgreen:

Looks delish, What sort of steak and how thick?

Titch I used bottom round steak for this cook. It needs to be tenderized and it's about 1/4" to 1/2" thick after pounding.
I season the steaks with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of cayenne. Then dredge in flour that has been seasoned the same.
Dip into an egg/milk bath, then into the seasoned flour again. Let the steaks sit while you get the skillet hot. Use enough oil to come up about 1/2 way up the sides of the steaks. Fry til golden.. remove from the oil...I like to leave the cooked steaks on the low-heat side of the campfire to crisp up and catch some smoke.
The gravy is just flour added to 3TBs of the skillet drippings. Cook the flour awhile to get rid of the "flour" flavor, then add milk. (as much as needed to make the gravy as thick or thin as you like). Then season the gravy with salt, a good amount of cracked black pepper. Any steak will work, I use the cheaper cuts for this. Thanks again Titch!

Thank you Phu and Big V!! :grin:

I should of never opened this thread.. Wow! Do you have room for me and my camper out there? Love to show down on your creative dishes

Plenty of room Matt! Thanks! :becky:

Thank you Cheez, Blue, Trout Bum, Jeremy and Piney! Bring your tents and chairs. We're going camping again in a few days. :grin:

The very definition of Southern Comfort = cast iron chicken fried steak. Amen
Thanks Adams! It's one of my favorite meals. :)

I'm loving it. I can tell you that was not a quick meal to prepare.
Thank you Wtxsmoker! Open fire cooking is a bit slower paced. Getting the fire ready seems to take the longest.. I'm always hungry and in a hurry in the morning. :mrgreen:

What a spread!!!!

All of my favorite food groups in one place 8)

Thanks Jeanie.

TIM

Thank you Tim! :hug::thumb:

Thanks Monte Cristo, Hung and Greenmountainsmoker! :grin:

Heretic! Heathen! That was breakfast she was cooking, so biscuits are the way to go. Cornbread would be at dinner time.

:biggrin1:

:thumb:

Thank you Tony and Big Joe!! :grin:

Thank you Jeanie for the wonderful pictures of your camping meal. Your talent at cooking and recording it with pictures is the greatest. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Great to see you Ron! Hope all is well! Thanks for the kind comment and for stopping by. :grin:
btw, Happy Birthday!!!!

Last edited:
Back