THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAD Rendering "007"

So, here it is, at least the way we did it.

SWING20GRATE_0001_zpsyxtjcd5h.jpg

Detail of the brackets

SWING20GRATE_0002_zpsgktmcxw9.jpg

And Fwismoker's version 2 "007"

KeithsSwingGrate_zpsbah17th9.jpg

There are probably lots of ways to make one but this is what we wound up with. The actual grate of course is a Weber 22.5 grate (not shown in the CAD rendering) that sits in the swing grate frame. That frame is made of two pieces of 1"X1/8" flat bar; one rolled to the ID of the Weber grate (give yourself a 1/4"-3/8" of extra diameter) and the other rolled on edge to the same diameter then welded together to make a "T" to support the cooking grate.

For the detail of the bracket, you might need a spacer as shown if your drum has a top lip and/or structural ribs; a 1/2 inch is shown but you just need to size it the get clearance on the shaft.

Best of luck; I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

Last edited:
First Class Dave!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: You and your son did a awesome job and this will help some lucky people (if they choose to make one) some incredible food! Definitely a game changer for those that experience it!

I do love the setup Dwfisk made for me, imuzzyhunter and ebijack came up with some neat ideas on other ways to make this type of cooker. Definitely a unique way of cooking for sure, nothing quite like it.

There's many ways to skin a can no doubt. My advice is stick to the basics.

1) Have the cook grate 4" above the cylinder that allows for adjustments up to say 10"

2) have a good fitting kettle type lid

3) Side table that serves as a kick stand/brace on the pivot point side. (if you don't have one I'd add one)

4) Good swivel setup won't rust- Keep it oiled with crisco or non stick etc...

5) Fire stick poker, I use a piece of rebar

6) Good diameter split basket (17.5" diameter is mine) high off the bottom, 5" off the bottom works for me. Ash clean out is few and far between. Usually clean out every 45 days maybe...beats doing it after each cook!

7) Mount the rotisserie about 3" below the lip

8-Therm in the dome lid and one in the middle of the main chamber... Therms that can read at least 750* is a good idea. I don't use the main chamber therm much but it's good to know the difference between the dome. If too big of difference a wind block should be put up

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-500-580-Grill-Thermometer/dp/B003VEG5SS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1472346281&sr=8-14&keywords=750+degree+thermometer"]Amazon.com : Bayou Classic Grill Thermometer : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Optional goodies

1) Door like ebijack and roguejims

2) Bottle opener ( Yes should be mandatory!)

Last edited:
If I read this right, the swing grate OD is the same OD of the drum. A kettle lid will fit on the swing grate and with the swing grate spun away from the drum, the kettle lid will still fit on the drum.

Looks like the hard part is getting the angle iron rolled to a 22" OD.

Thanks for sharing Fwismoker and Dwfisk !

If I read this right, the swing grate OD is the same OD of the drum. A kettle lid will fit on the swing grate and with the swing grate spun away from the drum, the kettle lid will still fit on the drum.

Yes, the concept was to have the dome lid basically floating above the cylinder so it was made the same size as the drum. My lid won't fit the drum but it is a open top so I put on the original flat lid for shut down.

If you can't get the ring rolled then ebijack has other solutions. Sure I would if I could but understandable if you can't, I know Dave used a special bending die..and to form the inside lip for the Weber grate to sit on.

The dome lid on mine just fits on over the ring...sure is nice, he did a fine job.

Pretty much. I have dies for rolling angle iron but I have not been happy with the final product. So, this version was made by rolling 1"X1/8" flat bar into a hoop then rolling another peice of 1"X1/8" ON EDGE so that it fits the ID of the first hoop then stitch welding them together to make an inside T for the Weber grate to sit on. I use a cheap arse Harbor Freight bender/roller with dies sets from SWAG Offroad.

http://t.harborfreight.com/tubing-r...6.html&usg=AFQjCNFwWwoeQv046aSluZQvKJT_I6b9fA

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tub...ble-With-Harbor-Freight-Tube-Roller_p_51.html

In a way it might be nice to have the original drum lid mounted to the shaft so that it could be lifted just up and swung away (perhaps in the opposite direction from the grate) in one motion at the beginning of the cook, with the ability to swing it back and make it drop onto the lip of the barrel in a moment (with a rod from a few feet away if desired), in case of a grease fire.

Dave (dwfisk) did a really nice job on building Keith's.
Most of us do not have the $$/or want to spend to have a shop fab one up. I completed mine as cheap as I could, and have it function for my requirements.
There are alot of ways folks could put one together no welding required. Using locally sourced cheap stuff. Like CI pipe from HD for example. You could make a 4" high stand using 3/8's "T's", elbows and a few 6-12" pieces of pipe. That would sit on top of your drum, it would hold the grate and lid. It wouldn't be locked in, just resting. Though you could make it so things are locked in/on using 4 way crosses with some careful measuring. If anyone wanted just to try this method of cooking out. It would be kind of like bed table. If that makes it easier to visualize.
You could build a full 5 ft high stand that sit just outside the barrel width using CI pipe. Using a combination of 3/8's pipe for the forward/rearward legs for stabilization, some elbows, "T's", reducer bushing to go from 1/2" pipe that is just larger than 3/4" O.D. to the 3/8's where required. You would want the 1/2 pipe for the upright pole, Not 3/8's! Drill out the threads of a 1/2 union so 1/2 pipe slides thru, drill/tap to 1/4-20, that union to use as the lock collar. Drill out the threads on a 1/2 cross in the vertical position only. That will become your swing grate but allow you to thread in a piece of pipe on the back side of where the grate will be to use as your swing handle, I'd use reducer bushings and go to 3/8's pipe for the handle and grate. The grate/lid holder can be built using 3/8's pipe. In a configuration kind of like an old TV ant. If you can screw pipe together you can built this. The only pipe that would have to be tight would be for the swing grate section.
Or if you have a friend who can weld you can put together one using angle iron, CI pipe for the swing grate and lock collar. Like shown on pg 9.
Lots of way to put this together.
You would not do it this way if you were going fab and to sell the units. This is just for the folks that want to try this method and have something that works. That they can put together themselves.
The other thing, if you build it out of the pipe, you could remove the 5 or 6ft tall upright piece of pipe and use a 3 ft piece for using over a camp fire. The whole thing would/should come apart easily since nothing was tightened much. Makes for easy packing.
Just a couple thoughts.
Here are my 2 versions. They were put together to see if I would like this method of cooking. If I was to make new ones, I'd do more detail work to make them look nicer, not just thrown together off the top of my head..... prototype

my grate for under the swing grate option for using pans etc.

I used the clamp ring that came with my drum, as my lid fits that and my drum.

For my requirements, I found I don't really need a swing grate. So I threw this together. I did not think I would like it, but I really do prefer it for my needs. Ugly but works. It is stuff I have laying around, nothing fancy or nice. Just works.

And my option of height addition for getting more space between the cooking grate and top of the dome lid, when required.

So, here it is, at least the way we did it.

SWING20GRATE_0001_zpsyxtjcd5h.jpg

Detail of the brackets

SWING20GRATE_0002_zpsgktmcxw9.jpg

And Fwismoker's version 2 "007"

KeithsSwingGrate_zpsbah17th9.jpg

There are probably lots of ways to make one but this is what we wound up with. The actual grate of course is a Weber 22.5 grate (not shown in the CAD rendering) that sits in the swing grate frame. That frame is made of two pieces of 1"X1/8" flat bar; one rolled to the ID of the Weber grate (give yourself a 1/4"-3/8" of extra diameter) and the other rolled on edge to the same diameter then welded together to make a "T" to support the cooking grate.

For the detail of the bracket, you might need a spacer as shown if your drum has a top lip and/or structural ribs; a 1/2 inch is shown but you just need to size it the get clearance on the shaft.

Best of luck; I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.
Yea great work for sure, the hanging basket not shown cad but in the pic is some nice work too...it has come in handy a few times and also catches drippings for when swung out part way or fully.

Where do we get these cool touch handles on the food grate?
They are offered several places but here's one off of Amazon.

You can bolt them on too so no welding necessary which is we did for the version 2.0, just drilled a hole in the hoop bolted it in.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Lavalock%C2%AE-Stainless-Spring-Handle-Smoker/dp/B00XV7D5U6/ref=sr_1_1/158-6226506-0689767?ie=UTF8&qid=1472400178&sr=8-1&keywords=bbq+handles"]Amazon.com : Lavalock® Stainless Steel 5" BBQ Spring Handle Smoker Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Dave put on a 6" like this one.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock%C2%AE-Stainless-Smoker-Spring-Handle/dp/B01BX5DKZC/ref=pd_sim_86_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KTZCYMRN018JSSR30H6T"]Amazon.com : LavaLock® Stainless Steel 6" BBQ Smoker Spring Handle Smoker Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back