red box smoker!

Nice! :thumb:

mine won't arrive until Tuesday. :pray:

I'm stuck using my BGE for smoking a turkey tomorrow. :tsk:
Mine was supposed to arrive Monday.
Dang! Now I want one worse, and have no money still.

I was really hoping it would suck
Ran bb ribs naked for 2 hours 15 minutes. They didn't suck. :shocked:
20151121_180030.jpg

Well, I did three racks of wings and drums. Packed petty tight.

I fired a chimney of Stubbs briquettes and tossed on some hickory chunks. My plan was to smoke about 1 1/2 hours, pull and finish on the gas grill.

The Box took about 1 hour to get to 200 degrees and wouldn't rise any further. I did have the water pan filled about 1/2 way.

The temps started to drop so I pulled them and still had about 1/2 hour on the gasser to finish.

The analog thermometer was about 35 degrees off compared to my digital.

Anyway, I need to do another run with ribs or something. I'm thinking the water pan acted as a heat sink and the packed racks reduced air flow and prevented the temps to go over 200?

Last edited:
Well, I did three racks of wigs and drums. Packed petty tight.

I fired a chimney of Stubbs briquettes and tossed on some hickory chunks. My plan was to smoke about 1 1/2 hours, pull and finish on the gas grill.

The Box took about 1 hour to get to 200 degrees and wouldn't rise any further. I did have the water pan filled about 1/2 way.

The temps started to drop so I pulled them and still had about 1/2 hour on the gasser to finish.

The analog thermometer was about 35 degrees off compared to my digital.

Anyway, I need to do another rub with ribs or something. I'm thinking the water pan acted as a heat sink and the packed racks reduced air flow and prevented the temps to go over 200?

I had issues with a maze in fb and temps not getting high enough. It runs hotter without the maze. I think you are right about the water. I would try it again with an empty water pan.

i use a snake/maze in my big insulated cabinet and thought the little Red Box needed it too. it's basicly a "S" pattern of charcoal made with firebricks or pieces of metal that burns charcoal a little at a time. here is one that i was testing.
Abes Maze.jpg

i use a snake/maze in my big insulated cabinet and thought the little Red Box needed it too. it's basicly a "S" pattern of charcoal made with firebricks or pieces of metal that burns charcoal a little at a time. here is one that i was testing.
View attachment 119297

OK, I just dumped a full chimney in. I'm going to use Royal Oak and no water next time.

Wow nice. Wish I heard about this before I bought my Broil King Smoke Vertical for about the same price.

Back