THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice! :thumb:

mine won't arrive until Tuesday. :pray:

I'm stuck using my BGE for smoking a turkey tomorrow. :tsk:
Mine was supposed to arrive Monday.
Dang! Now I want one worse, and have no money still.

I was really hoping it would suck
Ran bb ribs naked for 2 hours 15 minutes. They didn't suck. :shocked:
20151121_180030.jpg

Well, I did three racks of wings and drums. Packed petty tight.

I fired a chimney of Stubbs briquettes and tossed on some hickory chunks. My plan was to smoke about 1 1/2 hours, pull and finish on the gas grill.

The Box took about 1 hour to get to 200 degrees and wouldn't rise any further. I did have the water pan filled about 1/2 way.

The temps started to drop so I pulled them and still had about 1/2 hour on the gasser to finish.

The analog thermometer was about 35 degrees off compared to my digital.

Anyway, I need to do another run with ribs or something. I'm thinking the water pan acted as a heat sink and the packed racks reduced air flow and prevented the temps to go over 200?

Last edited:
Well, I did three racks of wigs and drums. Packed petty tight.

I fired a chimney of Stubbs briquettes and tossed on some hickory chunks. My plan was to smoke about 1 1/2 hours, pull and finish on the gas grill.

The Box took about 1 hour to get to 200 degrees and wouldn't rise any further. I did have the water pan filled about 1/2 way.

The temps started to drop so I pulled them and still had about 1/2 hour on the gasser to finish.

The analog thermometer was about 35 degrees off compared to my digital.

Anyway, I need to do another rub with ribs or something. I'm thinking the water pan acted as a heat sink and the packed racks reduced air flow and prevented the temps to go over 200?

I had issues with a maze in fb and temps not getting high enough. It runs hotter without the maze. I think you are right about the water. I would try it again with an empty water pan.

i use a snake/maze in my big insulated cabinet and thought the little Red Box needed it too. it's basicly a "S" pattern of charcoal made with firebricks or pieces of metal that burns charcoal a little at a time. here is one that i was testing.
Abes Maze.jpg

i use a snake/maze in my big insulated cabinet and thought the little Red Box needed it too. it's basicly a "S" pattern of charcoal made with firebricks or pieces of metal that burns charcoal a little at a time. here is one that i was testing.
View attachment 119297

OK, I just dumped a full chimney in. I'm going to use Royal Oak and no water next time.

Wow nice. Wish I heard about this before I bought my Broil King Smoke Vertical for about the same price.

Back